Security system question

I bought a 1999 chevy p/u (like the older body style) and I would like to know if there is a way I can test to see if my security system is actually installed. I see the security light flash when I start it. Since I am not the original owner and have no idea if it actually had a remote. It would be great to know. Any help would be great!!! Thanks, Greg snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Greg

You'll have to look up under the dash board:

Usually wire tied to the steering column, or in that vicinity, for the control unit. When you find it, you'll see the brand, and there is a very good chance you can purchase the remotes for that unit still.

Let me know what you can find, and I might be able to steer you in the proper direction.

I hope this helps?

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

I think he's talking about the factory key-based fuel cut-off or the content theft deterrant.

On my 2000 S-10, I can roll the window down all the way, turn the ignition off, lock the doors (key has to be out for driver's door to lock) with either the door PL switch or my remote. Close my door, wait 30 secs. for the steadily-lit "Security" light to go out. Then just reach in, pull up on the door lock lever and open the door. Panic alarm should sound. This is just a basic "no key or remote was used to open the door" security system. A remote is NOT needed to enable or disable this system on my truck, just a working PL switch (either siade actually) and a key to unlock the door from outside.

To the OP:

Looking in the service info, your system may be quite different from mine. See if you can find an owner's manual for your truck. Also, look in the glovebox, the code AU0 should appear on the RPO label if there were transmitters originally supplied with the truck. Then it's just a matter of figuring out which of the many different transmitters works with your truck. Without one to go by it'll be a little tougher than I had it.

Reply to
Mike Levy