Miata With Gull Wing Doors?

Does such a thing exist? Is there a gull wing kit that will fit the

95 Miata?
Reply to
mdginzo

I hope not.

Reply to
Bruno

It's out there, called the Miata Gullwing Vertical Lambo Door Conversion Kit for $499.00, apparently available for all years of the miata. They are listed on Ebay but they don't currently show a miata with them on the listings there.

Here is a small picture of a NC with the kit installed.

Pat

Reply to
pws

It's a convertible. Where do you think you could attach those things?

And why would you do such a thing to a Miata?!

Iva & Belle.) '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata

Reply to
Iva

This is a gullwing:

Lanny Chambers

Gull wing doors? On a convertible?

What, exactly, are the door-hinges going to be attached to when the top is down?

This has to be a troll...

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Grant Edwards

They call this a "Mazda Miata Lambo Kit" but they state it will not work on convertibles. So which Miatas are they attaching this to?

Reply to
mdginzo

You and Lanny are both correct, of course, but since a true gullwing is impossible on a convertible, I assumed that this is what the OP meant.

I have heard a number of people call this type of door a gullwing in error, and the company that makes it even falsely advertises it as such.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Not sure why they say that, I have seen this kit on a 1990-1997 model miata and on a 2006-2007 model MX-5. It is simply a replacement door hinge with pistons to lift the door, like this.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Not only do you get this awesome kit for a mere $500.00, but you get to jam out while bidding. Only $85.00 for UPS Ground shipping!

Turn those speakers UP!

Pat

Reply to
pws

That's probably because they're MORONS.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I just want to clarify something: Those things are INTENDED to look "cool" right?

Call it a personal quirk, but if coolness is the goal, they fall *WAY* short...

Reply to
Don Bruder

They may only work with the top down, not sure about that.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

The 300SL had a 3-liter fuel-injected SOHC straight 6, canted 45 degrees to fit under its low hood. In the mid-50s, it was the fastest road car you could buy. As a halo product, it rescued Mercedes from the industrial purgatory of postwar Germany, and established their reputation in the USA. It was magic, one of the most desirable automobiles of all time.

My '68 Mustang's back seat was hopelessly cramped for...um...interpersonal athletics. I kept a blanket in the trunk, to spread over the hood. Nice and warm on cool evenings, too. Not quite as desirable as a 300SL, though...

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

The people perhaps, though ignorance is possibly a more appropriate term.

As far as the company, I would need to see their profit reports before I could make that judgment. "Lambo Gullwing Door Kit" could be pure genius on their part if it sells enough of them at $500.00 a pop.

Pat

Reply to
pws

No, it is intended to look "kewl".

I have to agree with you, but after watching someone buy $2000+ bling-bling rims for their pickup truck, I am never surprised by what anyone will do to any vehicle.

I have to admit, they would have kept my passenger from opening the door onto a low curb on time. I'll take my curb scrape, however, over that kit any day.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Also not as desirable as a 300SL, but plenty of room in back in the Econoline E-100 with fully carpeted interior and fold-out bed.

Complete privacy curtains and a really nifty pull-out table with overhead lighting, useful for other teenage activities as well.

Let's allow the 16 year old boy to buy a rolling apartment, now that's a good idea.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Err, make that a high curb. I have opened the door onto one myself, but was able to pull the car up enough to dislodge it without any damage as it dug into the dirt above the concrete. The one from the passenger was more of a direct impact.

Speaking of gullwing doors, does anyone make a production vehicle with them now? If not, when was the last time they were made on a non-custom vehicle?

Pat

Reply to
pws

Not many - I can think of one

still it's a very small production so you could argue it does not count.

The DeLorean is my best bid for a real production car with true gull-wings and that is still small numbers.

I guess it's a price issue because parking space wise it's pretty clever to have anything but the standard doors.

Kind regards Bruno

Reply to
Bruno