MSM and cooling

So today it was about 104 degrees out and I was taking a little trip in the '04 MSM. Everything was in the green, until I got off the
freeway after an 80mph or so sprint with traffic. I get stopped at the light at the end of the ramp, get the green, and start to pull around the corner...I look down, and the temp gauge is higher than it usually is(!)
Normally, the temp gauge rides right about vertical on this miata. In this instance, which happens to be the only time I've ever seen it deviate from that spot, the edge of the needle cleared the 'barbs' on the thermometer icon on the gauge.
So I got up to 45mph or so and shut the AC off, and within 10 seconds the gauge went back down to where it normally sits, and it stayed there the rest of the way home. I turned the AC back on after a minute or so and saw no difference.
Coolant level is full, no leaks. Engine was running fine the whole time. It was a bit unnerving though. When I changed the coolant a few months ago I cut the coolant 50/50 with distilled water, and now I'm thinking I should maybe run it a little leaner than that and go maybe 70/30 instead. What's the general consensus out there? I'm in Phoenix, it doesn't get very cold here. I guess I could drain out a quart or so from the bottom and then top the system off with distilled to get me a leaner mix in the system......if it would help.
Thanks,
In article

I think that's an excellent idea, though I wouldn't start to worry unless the needle got past 3/4, and wouldn't shut down the A/C unless it flirted with the red zone. Stay out of boost and you should be fine.
I had to play A/C tag on one 110F August visit to Tucson. Pulling the license plate out of the mouth did the trick, but the real cause turned out to be an intermittent cooling fan motor.
--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
On 2010-08-14 6:18 PM, Lanny Chambers wrote:

Why not just add a bottle of "Water Wetter" and fix the problem that way? Stuart H. '91 Eunos Roadster.
On 8/15/2010 2:32 PM, Stuart H. wrote:

The thermostat might be sticking partially open. I've had this happen twice with different thermostats.

Site Timeline