new or used

Like John just spammed, Mazda below invoice. The local LA newspapers say $8K off MSRP, I expect a basic car to be about $18K. I see 2001 and 2002's at less than 20K miles for $14k. $4k is $4k, but how does one decide. Been through Autotrader and Miata.net watching the cars for sale.

I'm Los Angeles area where the car could be top down most of the time. No automatic, no super charger, prefer less options, hardtop with hoist would be nice. What do you suggest, guys.

Reply to
Alesandra

Buy a new one- despite the Miata's legendary lack of repairs, its still a new car, and you know nobody has hurt it. The last three years have brought relatively little mechanical change, but several years from now that 2-3 year difference in age may well cover the extra $4K you spend now (According to Edmund's web site, the 1999 (first of the current body style) and 2001 are approximately $3500 apart on "trade-in" and $4000 on "dealer retail"

The Miata still sells well, but Chrysler, BMW, Corvette, Mercedes, Porsche all have or will soon introduce new convertibles, and there is a very strong "fad factor" in the sales rate of open cars. Everyone also knows the Miata will be greatly rebuilt within 2 years, and waiting to see if they drop the ball or produce a car worth waiting for.

Joe Silver '99

Reply to
jchase