Ok, you've convinced me

I'm at an age where I look for the small things in life to give me pleasure. I've loved the look and the idea of a Miata for years but my practicality always led me to other cars. I own a 2006 Mazda3 GT but I'm looking to trade it in for a MX-5. I don't have the cash for a new one, so I'm on the lookout for something used. I can't make up my mind between something only a couple of years old with PHTP or an older one that won't cost as much. I consider the PHRT almost a necessity because here in Vancouver, BC it rains something fierce from September to April each year.

I would consider going south into the US but the powers-that-be make it a real pain to bring a car home.

Any suggestions at to which years hold up better, things to be on the look-out for etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Professor PS I've already found a local Miata club to join.

Reply to
Professor

The non-PHRT models do have a soft top that you can put up when it rains.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

And mostly fog and drizzle from April to September. ;-)

Still... better than most places i've lived.

cheers

Don

Reply to
Don Q

All Miatas after the 1991 model year are robust and extremely reliable with only basic maintenance, as long as they're not overheated or run out of oil. Price should reflect condition more than mileage, and older models are cheap enough that minor repairs are easily affordable.

Spend some time at miata.net. You'll find a buyer's guide for the first series of cars (1990-97). I'd have any prospective purchase checked over by an independent mechanic familiar with Miatas.

The PRHT is wonderful, but the soft tops on all years are quite weatherproof and easy to use. My 1994 still has its original top. You'll see some with vinyl rear windows and some with glass, depending on year or aftermarket replacement.

Don't sell or trade your 3 yet. You could buy, say, a 1994-97 for a few thousand, just to see whether you're a roadster kinda guy. Sell it at little or no loss in midsummer, then either spring for a newer Miata or write the idea off and move on. Or keep the 3 for general use, and keep the old Miata to drive in the best weather. That's what I do, and it's ideal with a two-car garage.

Above all, test drive the various model years, and decide which you like best.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Alright, well, somebody has to put a good word in for the in between choice, the best choice ;-), the 'NB' 1999~2005! Here's my take on it, if you're trying not to spend too much money but you also don't want the oldest / original body style with the pop-up headlights and such. The 2nd gen Miatas have become quite reasonable. High points (no specific order);

-glass rear window (never have had a leak on the NB top, had occassional leaks on the NA between top and side windows)

-(still) modern looking styling both exterior AND interior

-less sqeeky / rattly interior bits than NA

-many are far cheaper than any NC is to date and not allot more than an NA of similar mileage.

Trust me on this. Some will disagree but only trust the opinion of those who have spent years with both ;-)

Seriously though, the beauty of the Miata is that it's actually hard to go wrong! The test driving phase is not to be under-rated, done properly (meaning DO NOT just drive one of each and think you know), I think you will know which one meets your needs and budget best. Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Later, Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I will speak up for the 1999-2005 model, especially the MSM, though I guess I should drive one before I get too happy about it.

I would really like to have the NA, NB and NC. An aftermarket turbo monster 1990-1997 model like I have now, the 2005 MSM and a 2009-2010 NC with PRHT.

That is not being too greedy is it?

Pat

Reply to
pws

Why not a V-8 from Monster Miata? 0-60 in around 4.7 sec. Then you can add a turbo to that.

Reply to
Frank Berger

I have heard that the handling gets thrown off a bit with the V8. Not sure I am a good enough driver for it to matter, though. That Lexus V8 system for the Miata has always seemed awesome to me.

That power would be incredible. If I build up the current motor with forged pistons and such, I can take the boost about as high as I want, but then things like transmissions, drive shafts and differentials can start to break.

The person who built it included things like the 550CC injectors and 3" exhaust in anticipation of building up the engine and increasing the boost. My self-imposed limit out of a 1.8 liter with the stock drive line is probably around 250 hp.

Right now, the car is set up with around the same power that you have, and just a bit less weight, maybe 250 pounds less, partly from the earlier model with less safety features and partly from things like the AC being removed. The acceleration levels on the two cars is probably quite similar, but I imagine that the MSM delivers it in a bit more civilized manner.

I am really guessing that your MSM is a lot more fun in Texas on a summer day than my 1991 model. ;-)

That power to weight ratio of around 200 hp and 2450 or so pounds is plenty for me, one reason that the MSM with the FM package you have is interesting to me.

Still going to check out that MSM. I need to go autocross with Chris and swing by Dallas on my way home.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Forget Monster and Lexus. Get thee to

and read about their LS1/LS3 conversions. Only about 200 lb. heavier than stock, not much more than a turbo kit. Is 450 bhp enough? It's only money.

They have autocross video. Crank up your speakers. Oh, and better pee first.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

That is awesome, I think that I need the $25,000 engine........

Thanks!

Pat

Reply to
pws

Even more awesome, their default crate engine seems to be the LS376, which is like the standard 430 HP LS3 but with a hotter cam and another

50 HP. It should adequate for a car 600+ lbs lighter than a C6.
Reply to
Carbon

LOL! I'll have to check that out!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

The fastest-accelerating car I have driven so far was a 1970 Datsun 240Z with a raced out Chevy 350 installed. I don't remember the specs, just some crazy wide wheels in the back and a 2-speed transmission.

One person I know owns a RWD convertible kit car that is around the same size as a Miata, and the wheelbase may be even shorter. Not sure about weight but it has to be under 3000 pounds, and it has 550 hp/550 ft. lbs. of torque.

I kind of want to drive that one just to see if I can keep the rear end behind me. :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws