OT: Gas prices?

I went to San Marcos, California, last week and saw gas prices from a low of $3.099 at Costco in Palm Desert to $3.599. Costco here is $2.839 but I didn't see any price under $3.00 in California.

Are prices pretty much the same in Northern California as they are around Southern California? How about other states?

FWIW, the highest price I saw was a station tonight that had a sign saying Regular Unleaded was $29.19 but they screwed up the decimal point, they meant $2.919 (I hope?)

Reply to
XS11E

We are beating $3.00 here, but not by much. I think I saw $2.86 the other day. According to MSN Autos, (uses OPIS price index as their source), the cheapest gas in the US at the last report was $2.30 a gallon in Caledonia, MO, and the most expensive was $4.14 a gallon in Kaunakakai, HI.

Pat

Reply to
pws

It will come :-)

Over here is around $7.50 and going up!

I wonder when something will be done to boost the value of the $ as surely it can not go on like this.

Kind regards Bruno

Reply to
Bruno

Heh. $7.87 here in the UK, more for diesel. Wait until the Chinese and Indiains all get cars, then it'll be three times the price.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

USD7.71 per US gallon (GBP1.02 per litre) today for unleaded in Essex, England. We are flying to Scotland tomorrow because it is less expensive and this time of the year you never know if roads will be blocked. Always taken the MX5 before but it is 400 miles each way and we do not trust the roads this time of year. Need to be home by Sunday evening. As it happens looks like we would be more likely to meet rainstorms than snow this time.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Bruno, That's a much larger, more complicated and more serious topic than we normally handle here. Feathers can get ruffled.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

It used to be, perhaps 10 years ago, that gasoline prices in the Northern California metropolitan areas were reliably 10 cents or more higher than in Southern California metropolitan areas. That appears to no longer be the case; in fact, it may be tilting in the opposite direction with prices a little higher in SoCal.

My local Costco had unleaded for $3.159 the other day, though my daughter filled-up at an Arco in Sacramento a week ago for $3.079.

This year, I've spent a lot less on recreational gasoline since I started bicycling, but the actual numbers are a little sobering. I really haven't gone on a recreational Miata drive since April or so, but I've bicycled 2400 miles since the beginning of June. Amusingly, I'm riding about as much on the average as I would have driven for fun - so I've spent probably $300 less on gas this year as a result. Even when I factor in the cost of in-ride snacks and so on, I'm still saving probably $100.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

I'm sorry. You are of course right.

The topic of gas prices just easily leads me down the path of politics but let us not loose focus of this group being for the love of our four wheel life quality enhancers.

Happy New Year Bruno

Reply to
Bruno

Bruno, PM me if you'd like. I'd love to discuss the topic with you. I tried replying directly to you but got it bounced back.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I'd hate to see you two get into a discussion of economics/politics w/o understanding the basics so let me pass on the most important facts:

  1. I don't have as much money as I want.
  2. I would have more money if you all would send me some.
  3. This would have a very positive effect on the global economy as I'd probably buy a new Miata and more gasoline so....

Now that you understand the problem and know the fix, discuss away!

Reply to
XS11E

It's always best to know the facts first, thanks!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo