OT: RX-8 up close

I had my Miata in the shop and got to see a couple of new RX-8's up close - I have to admit that I am impressed. The cars are much smaller in real life than what I expected them to be, and as such - look much better in person than in the pictures. (They look OK in the pictures, but real good, IMHO, in real life).

I am also impressed with the amount of space in the rear seat and the interior looks rather nice.

If this thing drives as nice as it seems - they have a winner here.

Ron.

Reply to
Ron Loewy

The silver and the titanium gray are beautiful and the yellow is fine. Our local dealer expects to have a demonstrator available for test drives in the next couple of weeks.

Tim Herbst

94 VR base
Reply to
Tim Herbst

So...who will be the first to drop that wonderful motor into a Miata? How easy/hard would it be?

Reply to
Mike Gortych

Isn't some future version of the Miata supposed to be based on the RX-8 chassis? At that point, the rotary swap might be a lot easier. Of course, when that happens there may already be an RX-8 coupe that is a, er, Miata with a rotary engine and no swap will be necessary.

I'm not sure if that move will be a good thing, but it seems likely to preserve the value of the MK-1 and MK-2 cars. ;)

Reply to
hbarta

Bwob stated recently on the Miata.net forum that Mazda no longer plans to use the Rx-8 chassis for the NC Miata. According to him, it will have it's own platform.

Rick

Reply to
Dash Fieldpaint

In the past, people have also noted that this is not an inherent problem of a rotary, a standard engine having sumps and such to raise the axis, though it is true for the RX-7 engine. Don't know about the RX-8 engine in this respect.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I suppose a custom transfer shaft is always possible, if you're a mechanical engineer.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

weight ..... try lifting a V8 by yourself !!!

Reply to
smedley_alan
13B's can fit into Miatas with enough time and money. Do a google search and you should find a number of them. My brother-in-law has one in his garage that hasn't ran in years (3rd gen twin-turbo motor with the wick turned up). He also adapted the RX-7 front and rear subframes to the Miata. It was a dedicated track car and only ran a few times, and has since sat in his shop. Maybe one day I'll talk him into putting in the spare motor and getting it back out, although unlikely.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim South