Possible Resolution of '03 Door Rattle

Ever since I bought my new '03 SE, I've heard an annoying rattle in the driver's door, top up or down, window up or down. My local dealer couldn't fix it after fiddling with door innards (I couldn't bear to look at door innards, a gory sight, I'm told).

However, to his credit, the service manager called me today, unsolicited, and told me there is a (new?) technical service bulletin out for just such a rattle. The dealer will replace a belt molding, whatever that is, which has redesigned clips. He said that should fix it.

Didn't know if others were having a similar issue. Miata.net doesn't list this TSB, so thought you might like to know it's apparently out there. If anyone is interested in the follow-up, I'll let you know how it goes.

Alan Rattled owner of MiniMi the '03 SE

Reply to
AlanRab

Alan,

I have the same problem with my 03 SE - took it to the dealer and although they didn't fix the rattle. Please let us know how it goes - I'd like to see the tsb if it's online anywhere.

thanks, jim

"AlanRab" wrote in news:G8udnUtsdL snipped-for-privacy@bresnan.com:

Reply to
Jim

check this out:

s.rudie

Reply to
s.rudie

Thanks for the link to the TSB. Will let you know if it does the trick once installed.

Alan

Reply to
AlanRab

My '02 SE only rattles when really perturbed and I wasn't sure where it was coming from. This TSB matches the symptoms to a tee; the dealer has the parts on order - we'll see if it indeed fixes it.

Thanks! Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

I had the same problem in the driver's door of my 03 - but it only rattled when I went over a bump. Took it to the dealer Saturday morning, two days after I bought it, the service guy drove it and said "Nope no rattle". I drove it a few hours running errands and it was making me crazy so I went back to the dealer that same day and convinced the service guy to ride with me while I drove it. Everytime I heard it I went "There! Did you hear it just then?" and he would say "...no." Finally after about 30 minutes I hit a big enough bump for him to hear it and then he took the wheel and drove it and was able to replicate the rattle. He fiddled with the door, pressing it in different places, and moving it around and decided he knew what was wrong.

I took it in for service the next Monday and left it - they replaced some interior molding and clips inside the door and it has been perfect ever since. They told me it had been incorrectly installed at the factory when they built the door. If YOUR dealer has a problem get them on the phone with Darryl in the service department at Jeff Haas Mazda in Houston. He fixed mine so he knows what it is.

Reply to
Carol