power antenna mast replacement

hji,

from miata.net is seem like replacing the mast isnt to bad...is that correct?

btw, swmbo was driving and the snorkle for the s/c popped of yesterday and gave her somre trouble...nothing major and the car did run so she got to work...i now have a screw driver in the car :)

peter

Reply to
peter

You shouldn't talk about her like that! ;-)

Chris

99BBB

..i now have a screw driver in the car :)

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

It's easy but the hard part is to feed the notched plastic band into the take-up mechanism. I tried and tried but I couldn't do it by myself. So I got my daughter to sit in the driver's seat and turn the radio on and off while I fed the band in, and then it was easy. She turned the radio on and the motor turned so that it would have pushed the plastic band outward, which would have raised the antenna. Then I pushed the notched plastic strip down into the opening, and then she turned the radio off, and the gear inside caught the strip and pulled it into the mechanism.

yrs jp

Reply to
johnny p.

I did a mast replacement for my 1997, it's not difficult, but there are a few tricks to know, you can't slide it into place like in the instructions, you have to disassemble the drive unit to bend the tape(toothed for the gear) past a guide wheel inside, then reassemble it like that. I was able to accomplish it by putting the end in place, then reassembling, and having the mount in place before applying power. Took me a little over 3 hours, but most of it was figuring out a way to get it to go together again. If I had to do it again, knowing what the issues are, it would probably be about a 20 to 30 minute job.

Reply to
Ed