R-12 Cost/Value

This is more out of curiosity than anything else. I just had a friend purge and refill my AC on the 92 with R-12. He has seven twenty pound cannisters of the R-12 that he bought many years ago when they started to phase it out. I was thinking about trying to buy one from him for the local Miata guys that are still running R-12 but have no idea how much one of these is worth these days. I do know I wish I had thought of stockpiling it myself. Any ideas on what a fair price would be for one? Thanks.

Tom

92 Red
Reply to
Tom Howlin

With the high cost of getting an R-12 system serviced, a 20 lb cannister could be worth $500 or more. The change to R-134 was made in 1994. Most AC systems if regularly used will hold the refrigerant indefinitely. The AC may work without any service for 20 or 30 years. AC systems designed for R-12 will last the longest if they are used weekly for a few minutes and the R-12 is topped off when necessary.

Reply to
Larry Gadbois

My 1985 Accord still has its full charge, and has never been serviced at all. Same with my 1994 Miata. Let me reinforce Larry's advice: the key is running the AC for a few minutes each week--year round--to keep the seals lubed and the system dry. "Use it or lose it."

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

That, and not puching holes in the condenser with rocks.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

If you could get the canister for under $1,000.00 you'd be doing well. Personally I'd either convert a system over, or use something like Freeze12, or Enviro-safe. Unless you're just topping up a charge or something there's no good reason to even mess with R12 anymore IMO. YMMV!

That's one of the major reasons I set my bottom line at a 94 though. I didn't want to mess with R12 anymore!

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

Reply to
Tom Howlin

I agree that the systems that are converted from R12 to R134 don't quite cut it. Especially in severe climates (I live in Las Vegas !) The substitutes are the answer IMO. I've never tried freeze12, but I have converted 2 or 3 cars with enviro-safe, and it seems to cool just as well as R12.

If your buddy will sell you a jug @10.00 # I'd jump on it though. Of course if you're garage works like mine, you'll invest the $200.00 in it, and then give it away to all your friends a few pounds at a time.. Then when YOU need some, you'll be buying it for $65.00 / # LOL!

Off topic... I finally had occasion to inspect my Miata battery just to make sure it wasn't corroded, etc..

IT'S a $#%#%$ JETSKI BATTERY !! (well, almost) it ain't much bigger than the one in my SeaDoo's! pretty funny!

Man, I'm loving this car though....

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

You're exactly right, I'll give it away until it's empty and then I'll be searching again - LOL. He actually told me to pick it up this weekend for nothing if I'll help him install new shock on his 95 so for a couple hours work, I get enough freon to last until either I or the car dies. The batteries in these cars isn't much but my 92 is still on the original battery! 125,000 miles, cold winters, etc. and it still cranks strong. I've never let it discharge and don't store it for more than a day or two. I've since bought a spare that I keep on a battery tender for when the day comes but who knows, there is a guy here with what he loves to refer to as a "1989" Miata that still has the original battery and just turned 200,000 miles.

Tom

92 Red

Chief_Wiggum wrote:

Reply to