Real miles on your Miata

Not for the first time, I noticed my 92 Miata was turning 3500rpms at

65mph in 5th today and it occured to me that actual "wear" on the engine is much higher in this car than my others. My wife's 4cyl Accord turns about 2900 at the same speed and my V6 Runner turns 1900 at that speed. Based on this, the Miata mileage (120,000) actually reflects much more engine "usage" than most cars. If it were the Accord, it would actually be at 140,400 and the 4Runner would be at 174,000. I know it's all in the gearing but considering how tight my engine still is (and many others I've been in with considerably more mileage) it speaks even higher of this engine design. Then I factored in the fact that I usually don't use 5th gear unless I'm on a long trip, and it is even higher than this (I like the acceleration in 4th at 65mph too much to go for the higher gear and gas mileage on shorter trips). It's also one more good reason to stick with those 3K oil changes since that equates to 4.3K in my Runner. I'm fortunate to live in an area where most of my driving is 65, even on the twisties on the way to work! Just some idle thoughts about how good this car really is.

Tom

92 Red
Reply to
Tom Howlin

LUXURY!

My Honda CBR600F4i is pulling 5000rpm at 60mph in 6th gear. It'll rev out to

13000rpm in the same gear too. I can break all the UK speed limits in 1st gear if I use all the revs (14250rpm redline). All of which means that in any sane kind of every day use I'm using so little of the available performance and revs that I expect it to last as long as a car engine too.

SteveM

Reply to
Stephen Malbon

What's your theory for this? Engine RPMs aren't easily mapped to "usage". You're leaving out engine load.

Nice idea, though.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

He's talking about piston travel --- total distance the piston travels along the cylinder walls during an engine's lifetime.

He's omitting the higher cylinder pressure (at the same speed) in the Honda and Runner that will wear the engine (lugging) faster than an engine that 'spins'. Yep, he's omitting engine 'load'. Nice try though !!! ;-)

Reply to
Rich Hampel