Rear Tire wear Question

Reviewed the other posts here about rear tire wear but wanted some additional insight.

Vehicle is a 2000 Miatia (of course!!) with 54,000 miles. Replaced all

4 tires about 17,000 miles ago. Noticed that both rear tires have significant wear on the inside edge almost to the point of needing replacement. Suspect this is just a rear alignment problem but wanted to know if there may be any other cause that I should correct. Vehicle is a daily driver and not raced (at least not Auto-X). Thanks

Grant Ziebell

2000 Emerald Green "Mimi"
Reply to
GrantZ5906

You might taking corners faster--that would tend to eat the outer edges and even out the wear pattern. :-)

A good alignment matches wheel angles with driving style. Aggressive cornering requires aggressive camber settings. Front-to-rear rotation is a good idea, too; I recommend every 3000 miles for summer performance tires and every 6000 for all-seasons. Tire pressure should be about 28 psi all around in most cases.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Since you may have no clue what Lanny is talking about: you probably have too much camber for your driving style. Take it to an alignment place and tell them you are wearing the inside rear tires too much. Also ask them to check toe to be as small as possible, while still being toe *in*. Toe out rear makes the car tricky.

I assume you know about tire rotation, and like me, have other things to do.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

It could also be excessive toe, in either direction. Most likely both. An appropriate alignment will fix both.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I bought a new 2004 in March and now have 24,000 miles on it. I had to replace the tires last week as they had no tread left on them ( I did not check them as often as I should have - just assumed that tires would last longer than this and only rotated once).

Can someone help me understand if this is something that I can look forward to forever (this is my first Miata and I love it!!). I have 205/45/16 size tires. I would prefer to replace them next time with higher profile and smaller size, any recommendations?? I use the car more as a fun commuter (about 100 miles per day) but do occasionally enjoy taking 30mph corners at

70mph, and also occasionally exceed 100mph during the commute.

Thanks for your help!

JohnnyA '04Silver

Reply to
johnnya

Soft, sticky, performance tires don't last very long. Hard, long-wearing, all-season tires don't stick very well. Your choice.

I went for the best performance, expecting them to last 15k miles. If you want your soom-soom, accept that tires are a consumable, not an investment.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers