Repair or replace air dam?

The air dam on my '99 is pretty scratched up, and I want to get it painted.

My question is; would it be cheaper to have a body shop remove it and paint it to match, or should I just buy a new one and bolt it on? A new, painted air dam is $249 shipped right now.

Regards, H.

Reply to
HardwareLust

Well, the cheapest would probably be to do what my brother did w/ his

10th AE. Hit a deer and let the insurance fix it.... um.. not really the SAFE way, but cheap. :)

The body work for him (ins covered) was something over $3k, but that included a lot more than the front dam. Doubt they broke the expenses out like that, but I'll ask him.

-Scott

"HardwareLust" wrote in news:N7dMd.2400$uc.208@trnddc02:

Reply to
Scott Hughes

Buy a prepainted one. It's less expensive than having a body shop do it. The caviat would be if the body shop was doing other work with the same color and type of paint.

Reply to
chuckk

If only Your air dam is not damaged, just scratched, I'd get it painted in a good shop. There's a big chance that factory paint won't match Your car current color/shade, especially if the car is 6 years old. It depends on many factors, but sun takes big share. Have You been exposing the Miata to sunlight? ;-)

Reply to
Kempi

Around here, the shops will not touch it for a reasonable price. Matching is always a problem.

Reply to
chuckk