Which gps?

Hi gang: I just got back from a 980 mile trip from southern Illinois to Branson, Mo, and Rt 7 in Arkansas. I found out about Rt 7 from

a really cool site! Coming back home, we took back roads south of Springfield, Mo towards Sikeston. I let my wife drive some really twisty roads (for the first time), and she really liked it! While she drove, I used my buddies Garmin eTrex gps, hooked up to my Toshiba laptop (with Microsoft streets) for navigating back country roads. I'm trying to bid on a Garmin V gps on ebay...hopefully around $200. Is anyone here familiar with this unit, or can you give a newbe advice on gps in this price range? Thanks...jim

Reply to
jimuntch

Try posting to sci.geo.satellite-nav

Reply to
Mike

I got iGuidance GPS software ($89 approx) and a GPS receiver/mouse from ebay for ($60 approx) on ebay about 10 months ago. The software gives you turn-by-turn directions via voice as well as visually. It also does a lot of other clever stuff that you would expect of high end routing software. Too much for me to list right now but do a search or take a look at:

Me and the missus did a 3000 miles plus road trip around the states in my mini van, and it only messed up once (actually it was my fault but I did not want to admit it to my wife). I loaded it on my laptop but you can also load it onto pocket pc's. I actually prefer the big screen of my laptop.

The GPS receiver is a BU-303 that plugs into a USB port. I got it from seller Fashion1658 on ebay and it worked flawlessly with the iGuidance software and also with MS Streets. I had both loaded on my laptop.

I appreciate that using a laptop in a miata will be a bit cumbersome to say the least, and I would only really contemplate using it in mine if I was travelling alone i.e. leave it on the passenger seat with the volume up high.

The Garmin will be more practical in terms of size, but the price for the software/gps receiver combo cannot be beat in my opinion. You pay less than $200 for features that Garmin and Magellan charge hundreds more for.

By the way, I saw a MS streets version 5 with a receiver included at best buy for $130. No voice prompts with Streets, but has enhanced GPS features. You already have streets on your laptop so maybe you could just spend $70 or so and a get just a GPS receiver.

Hope I helped and good luck finding the GPS system that works for you.

Jitendra

Reply to
Jitendra

I bought a used Garmin GPS V on eBay and love it for travel. I use it for Geocaching along with my Garmin GPS III for in the woods. For $200 to $250 shipped, I would say you can't go wrong. Make sure the seller sends the Maps and Streets unlock code along too or the CD is worthless! Make sure to ask before bidding if need be!

Enjoy!

Reply to
Mike

Reply to