RX8 Better than RX7?

I used to love the old RX7 (Type I?) with pop up headlights. It was very cool and loved the sound of the engine.

Is the RX8 every bit as good and even better? Or is the RX8 a different sports car that is just taking advantage of the RX name?

Reply to
jeffegordon

It's a different car; it's an RX because it's a rotary. Whether it's as good or better as the 1st generation RX-7 I don't know; I would hope so.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

Are you kidding? That's like comparing a Miata to a Pinto. While endearing in some ways, the 1st-generation 7 was a rolling disaster, a ticking bomb if hopped up to make respectable power. It was simple, fun, and cheap, but crude. It didn't even have independent rear suspension or rear disc brakes.

The RX-7 is a world-class touring car on a sports car chassis. It seats four adults in comfort, and handles better than almost anything. Time will tell if it's more reliable than previous rotaries--I'd wait for the

2005 models myself. There are plenty of online reviews, most of them raves.
Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I tend to think of the RX-8, because of its rear seating, as fitting between the Japanese sport coupes (Celica, Eclipse, RSX) and the American-style "ponycars" like the Mustang and Camaro.

Its an RX because its a rotary. Its "8" because its something new; through three generations, the "7" has been a strict 2-seat coupe (altough the three cars to carry the name were remarkably different)

Mazda started in the US with the tiny RX-100 coupe, then a series of RX-2 (sedan and coupe, my first car), RX-3 (smaller) and RX-4 (larger). I believe the missing two digits got assigned to something not exported.

If there is another 2-seat rotary coupe, I expect it will be called RX-7 again.

Joe Silver '99

Reply to
jchase

Are you implying it wasn't a ticking bomb under normal circumstances?

Interesting. Leon, typically one of the most, if not the most by a wide margin, precise people I've ever met (in 23 years of engineering, that's saying someting) managed to subtract one from the integer portion of RX-7 to yield RX-6. That was odd, but we're all human once in while. You, another of the most consistently accurate posters to r.a.m.m.miata, managed to subtract one from RX-8 to get RX-7, which worked out to be considerably more confusing.

I'm just waiting for Jake, like a metronome, to find a reason to dispute anything I write (gawd I love my Trailblazer's motor) and especially to protest continued discussion of rotary Mazdas.

Shame on me. I'm a stinker at the moment. Please forgive me.

;-)

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

Damned error-correcting modem needs an update.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

RX-7's have had rear disc brakes since 1981 ( well at least mine did )

i sort of like the RX-8, its engine is pretty amazing with all that power and no turbo ( how would a a T-3 or T-4 turboed one go ), i hate the fact its 4-door even if there just small suicide doors at the back

3rd gen RX-7 with RX-8 motor or 20B would be great ! ( factory option )

Reply to
Shin Gouki

They were optional, part of the top-of-the-line package. Most had drums.

There are reportedly cooling issues due to moving the ports to the sides, and Mazda says there will never be a turbo RX-8. No doubt some aftermarket tuner will try anyway.

See if you can find the Top Gear RX-8 video clip from November 23. Jeremy claimed it was the best car he's ever driven. The page where I saw it comes up with a 404 now, but there must be more out there.

Why would you hate that? You don't have to open them if you don't want to. They don't have exterior door handles, and visually they disappear when closed. They sure make it easier to get a tuba into the back seat...

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

re: 4 doors

well its just that in my mind sports cars ( like RX7 ) should only have 2 doors ( my strange opinion/mentality )

Reply to
Shin Gouki

He said "this year", not "ever". Then he semi-recanted after having driven it in the wet, but the point is still there, he loved the way it drove. Great vid!

Reply to
Dave

... but placed the majority of the blame on the tires.

If only the car prices in Denmark didn't make it so expensive.

Reply to
Per K. Nielsen

Indeed. The OEM Miata tires suck in the wet, too. Easily fixed with a set of T-1S.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Well, you tend to hand out the reasons like candy.

And the classy interior! And the 4800 lb. curb weight!

Some days it seems you care to discuss anything *but* Miatas.

Reply to
tooloud

tooloud quoted something I wrote 4 weeks ago:

The mood passed, oh, a month ago.

But, since you re-ignited the thread, I just can't help but pass on this link:

Anyway, I'm more interested in the digital boost gauge + WI controller + A/F meter project I'm cooking up for my Miata.

Sincerely - happy holidays, to all.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers