RX7 Any good ?

1988 model with 39,000 on the clock.

What's the good and bad points on these cars ?

Any info from owners welcome.

Bit of a general question I know but I have no knowledge of these cars so throwing it open to the masses :)

Reply to
BORG

£3-4K engine rebuild at 40K miles. (Well maybe 60K on late ones)

Don't drive them in heavy town or city stop start traffic, it's cruelty. Rotories starting with the old RO80 never liked it, they like the open road.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Engines only last 60k or so before they need a rebuild.

Apart from that, they're fine cars. I'm talking about the '93-onwards models though. I know nothing whatsoever about the oldy ones, other than they look

*nasty*.

A friend of mine recently spent about £3000 or something, to rebuild his explodorated engine. He doesn't dare keep it now, so it's for sale.

Reply to
Nom

In defence tho, it is an awesome machine :)

Reply to
DanTXD

Stunning drivers cars but be prepared to loose all your spare income (and a bit more).

We have a firned who ran one (allbeit a newer model) and the maintenance was endless and expensive. That's the norm with RX7's.

Mason

Reply to
Mason

That's the norm with most high powered cars in my experience (well my observations of my dad running Audi Quattro's) if you want to keep up 5000 mile service schedules. From what i've read on the net the old and new RX7's are very reliable. But due to the nature of the engine they require more skilled grease monkeys hence the higher maintenance costs.

Reply to
REMUS

They're awful... you'd be much better off with a 1992 Honda Prelude 2.2 VTI (VTEC)... of which I just happen to have one of, in stock. ;-)

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Most high performance cars require a lot of upkeep but the RX7's more so than the rest.

Whoever told you the rotary engines are reliable where not exactly being truthfull.

Does a full rebuild every 40k sound reliable to you?

I know my frineds had around 30k off hime in two years and hiw was the newer model (as in NOT the 944 ripoff)

Mason

Reply to
Mason

You might be able to intrest Sleeker in that ;)

Reply to
DanTXD

It'll be 'reasonably priced', anyway - probably take £895 for it, and it'll have a full MOT.

I've found premises today, so need the money out of it to help pay for the setting up of all that. :-)

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

If that's a manual i'll take it off your hands for £800 with an MOT.

Mason

Reply to
Mason

Induction kit and 75mph limiter?

Reply to
Peter Hill

Mine wasn't. The key to rotaries is maintainence.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

How many have you owned?

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Agreed - our one has over 60k on the engine now, still going strong with a turbo... We thought the engine had knackered a while back, turned out to be HT leads ;)

The key thing is to change the oil regularly and never, EVER let it overheat.

A well maintained rotary can easily make it past 100k - the main problem is that most people don't know how to maintain them properly.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

It depends? If the full rebuild replaces less parts than a major service on a typical piston engine, it isn't bad.

Don't Ferraris (especially older ones) need a full rebuild every 3-5k? It isn't the work involved, rather the skill needed to put the very few parts back together in exactley the right way, and to replace the right parts in the first place.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

;-)

Whats the speed limitied to?

I'll bear it in mind and ask "the boss"

Mason

Reply to
Mason

Oh you arse. What colour. UK or JDM, Manual or Auto, what miles? VFD or Standard dash?

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

At 36 fully comp, the best quotes I could get were from my current=20 insurers. Import 92 Prelude =A3700 UK Celica GT4 =A3500

Was willing to pay the extra if a Prelude came up, but it didn't. Now it has. Bugger, bastard, rat shit.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

Sleeker GT Phwoar

It probably has a 120MPH, not KMH limiter. Most Jap cars do.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar