check engine(catylist efficiency code?)

Greetings one and all. I took my newly acquired Miata to Autozone yesterday to have the "check engine" codes read...the instrument came up with a "catylist efficiency" code. They didn't know what that meant, do any of you have an idea? I'm guessing an O2 sensor? I did a google search for my problem, and couldn't find anything specific to "catylist efficiency" code.... Here is a link to my new (99) car...

$52821343&categoryc24&rd=1...I flew down to Texas last week, from St.Louis(USA), and drove back the800 miles to southern Illinois. It was a great trip, except for the factthat it rained for about 700 miles! The car ran great. I averaged close to30 mpg! A big chunk of the trip was on the Oklahoma turnpike @ 80mph! WhenI filled up the gas tank in Texas, I mistakenly forgot to get the three"clicks" on the gas cap...you guessed it...check engine light came on. WhenI got home, I unhooked the battery for an hour, and the check engine lightwent out. 2 days later, while driving to St.Louis, it came on again. Iunhooked the battery overnight, and 2 days later, the check engine lightcame on again. I've checked (to the best of my ability) all of the vacuumhoses. I've changed all of it's fluids to Mobile1 synthetic. Put in a K&Nair filter. Other than the check engine light, the only real problem I'vehad was 2 clogged drains for the top...darn those Texas leaves! I had asmall amount of water in the trunk, and I had to remove the back sillmaterial that was pretty wet underneath. I hooked up a shop vac to asection of clear tubing (the same tubing that I used refill the transmissionoil) which fit perfectly into the two clogged drain holes. Many thanks tothe people on this ng! I've learned a lot over the past week or so.seeya...jim

Reply to
jimuntch

[...]

It seems self-explanatory to me. The catalytic converter is gone. Here is a link:

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Reply to
jimuntch

Try it without the K&N filter - put in a Mazda replacement filter and see if it stops. I know it sounds stupid, but my wife's Honda Accord will throw a code on anything but a Honda filter and the dealership (one I actually trust) told me it's not unusual in today's world given all the sensors. Never heard of it on a Miata but can't hurt to check. The next best bet is probably the 02 sensor since it has a lot to do with mixture which in turn has a lot to do with the catalytic converter. Good luck and enjoy the car.

Tom

92 Red

jimuntch wrote:

[...]

Tom Howlin

Funny you should ask! I had a go around with this a year ago. The original cat was known good, and the cat eff code would not set. It only came on with the older small cat FMII midpipe in place. Set the mid pipe back, and the cat was replaced with a larger one. End of problem.

The light was setting as a result of failing the fed driving cycle tests that are part of OBDII. Seems that the small cat was a two way cat converter, and the stock cat three way. (More efficient.) Next, low speed (city driving) did not heat the small cat up enough to purge it properly. Running it on the highway every three days or so drastically reduced the number of nusance trips for cat efficiency. Its also possible that poor ignition or even sticking injectors can cause such things. The O2 sensor sees an average of all four , and one cyl out of whack can cause mixture problems by fooling the O2 sensor. Finally, the front O2 sensor can cause the problem if it's output is just a bit low.

[...]

chuckk