Should I buy a convertible car?

Hey all....

Must be going thru a mid life crisis. Been thinking abt buying a convertible car

Ive always thought Id like a Mazda Miata. Anyone own one and what's your opinion?

Another one Im thinking on..... a bigger car tho... is the convertible Toyota Camry Solara. However I "think" these cars in the convertible version are pretty rare and hard to find....hence more costly. But they do have a back seat I think. Anyone own one of these?

Is comparing these two cars a fair comparison? Or is it apples to oranges?

John

Reply to
me63401

Let me see if I've got this right. You post on rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata and you ask "Anyone own one and what's your opinion?" What kind of reply do you think you'll get?

Reply to
Marcel Bailly

Well, the newsgroups: header is rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata, so what do you think?

Best car on the face of the earth. Or as close as I'll ever be able to afford anyway.

[regarding solara]

No. The Solara is a generic FWD car. The Miata is a RWD roadster.

Yup.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

You would. They're an addiction, and should have a warning label saying "WATCH OUT! Purchase of this car will alter your life styl;e and change your perception of life."

NAAAH. None of us own one. We're all driving enormous air-conditioned power-assisted 4-wheel-drive gas-guzzling SUVs, discussing Miata stuff on cell-phones while piloting our Ford Sub-Divisions and dreaming a lot

:D

It's bigger.

Never seen a convertible version.

What do you want a back seat for, eh?

Not me.

No. No similarity at all.

Yup. Majorly. It's more like apples to manatees. Not on the same planet, let alone in the same ballpark.

-- Nora (imagine a Canadian flag here) =======================and the Rollerskate (imagine a '99 gleaming silver Miata here)

HOME PAGE
Rollerskate
FFFR 4 pix
RATG III pix
NH Spring Run
FFFR5 maps

Reply to
Nora

Wel, because you are so kindly we will be fair to you. the miata cars are real crap. The desing is just a copy of a lotus . they forgotten a back seat. The powerwindows go slow. You need to put on a charger to go fast. The softtop's wear, and the 'plastic window' cracks when frozen. The suspension is way to stiff. the rear tracktions is dangeres.

Is that really what you want.....NOOOO considering your age take the Toyota .UNLESS you are realy in your mid life crisis and wants to get rid of it.

TM

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
dingo

Ahh.... I didn't know that

I guess Im concerned abt the Miata being my only car.

Im single..... not married..... no kids.... bete even given that will I regret having a Miata as my "only" car?

Supposing I do want to haul something..... say I buy new TV or stereo..... how will I get the boxes home?

Do most of you Miata owners have a small trailer for your vehicle as well?

Im not against owning a Miata.... I actually own a Protege at the moment..... but I want to fully understand what things I may have to deal with if going for a Miata as my only car.

Thanks in advance!

John

Reply to
me63401

Then perhaps a Miata isn't the car for you. If you've driven one and are still asking these questions, then it probably isn't. If you haven't driven one, then why bother worrying about it until you have?

I have no idea. It's my only car, and I don't regret it. You might. People differ. I even know people who drive big SUVs!

If it's too big for my Miata I have it delivered, or sometimes I trade cars with a friend for the day. Or you can rent a pickup for a day. That said, with the top down, you can haul some pretty big stuff with a Miata. I just hauled a new 19" monitor home from MicroCenter last week.

I don't, and I bet most others don't either.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Speak for yourself! I can't believe this kind of broad-brush over-generalization. It's like saying all Canadians say "Eh".

I have a Trailblazer and it's only RWD.

(But the ham radio stuff fits in the Trailblazer a lot better)

;-) Dana K6JQ

Reply to
Dana Myers

  1. Another vehicle (rent, borrow, steal, etc.)
  2. Pay for it to be delivered
  3. Trailer
  4. Osmosis

I do not, however, my Miata is not my only vehicle. I have seen Miatas with trailers. (At the race track loaded with racing slicks.)

understand what things I may have to deal with if going for a Miata as my only car.

Just more fun than a human being should be allowed to have with a street able car.

G. Lee

Reply to
GLPILOTSRV

Does anyone know if someone DOES make a small trailer especially designed for the Miata?

John

Reply to
me63401

Reply to
jchristman

air-conditioned

Miata stuff on

dreaming a lot

Hmph. We've got a Chevy S-10 and a Volvo wagon. I feel deprived. Maybe I shouldn't be here. Anybody got a spare Explursion I can borrow?

Iva & Belle.) '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata

Reply to
Iva

John,

A single guy in a Miata? You're *not* going to regret it!

I bought a removable luggage rack and a collection of bungee cords. Very few things I can't strap down and take home.

Mike "Red '97" Verive snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Michael Verive

Don't. I got a 22 inch TV home in my Miata, but only after I took it out of the box. You can probably not go much bigger than that in a Miata, but the limiting factor is as much weight as it is size. That thing was heavy.

The good news is, you can get some loooooooong timber home without piercing the cars behind you.

No. But some do. I do not think it is the sportscar idea. :)

Many experience muscular pain around the mouth. Also, a nasty sunburn is quite likely for the careless.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen
[Experiences driving a Miata]

I keep a little tube of SPF45 in the trunk for those times.

And, the sore facial muscles have returned after the recent installation of a JSRC kit. It's still the great-handling car it was to start with (though some will quibble over M1 vs M2) but the extra HP delightfully takes it from the lower end of the performance envelope and moves it to the top end. Highly recommended.

Dana (Untz, the Titanium Gray 02 Sebring Miata)

Reply to
Dana Myers

After the Miata test drive, and all of the paperwork is signed and it's yours, you will, after you stop YEEHAAHHH and yuppppeeee, drive straight to the Toyota dealer to urinate on a Solara. The little cars as previously mentioned are very addictive!!!!!! Be forewarned.

Jerry '90B Red "BabyCar"

Reply to
Jerry

The only car I've ever loved....................................................................... well, I did have a flirtatious affair with a VW Thing........Joe

Reply to
Joe Drees

My ham stuff fits just fine in the Rollerskate. FT-100D in the tunnel and an ATAS bolted to the passenger side Frankenstein bolt.

We're just about to make another mount for the other Frankenstein and put up an 80M HF antenna :D

-- Nora VE2HAX (imagine a Canadian flag here) =======================and the Rollerskate (imagine a '99 gleaming silver Miata here)

Reply to
Nora

Very, very nice job of installing at all. Since I don't use my Miata as a primary vehicle or feel like talking on the radio while driving it, it's just never appealed to me. I'm also a little of a fuddy-duddy with respect to having a ground plane between me and the antenna.

I ran a Hustler on a ball-mount in my long-departed Nissan Sentra, though I never ran 80m or 75m (which makes a difference given that two different resonators are required).

I've been tempted as of late to mount an ATAS to my Chevy Monte Carlo and run my FT-847 in it, but not so much to do anything. That car just has an FT-8100R, remoted head and through-glass (!) antenna on the rear.

Dana K6JQ

Reply to
Dana Myers

Partner up with another Miata owner and string a half-wave longwire...or two other Miata owners, and go for a full-wave mobile dipole. You'd make the cover of QST fer shoor.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers