Thermostat Housing Question '92 Miata

Hi all, There's a metal T coming out of my thermostat housing that came out of my thermostat housing this morning. Any ideas on a fix?

Ephar

Reply to
redmiata

Pictures are available:

Thanks for ideas Ephar

Reply to
redmiata

It could be repaired, but I would just replace it. You will have to take it off either way. You can get one from Trussville Mazda for $54.00, I had to replace one not that long ago.

Pat

Reply to
pws

The local Mazda dealer wants $113 to do it, with parts it'll run about $200. I can tap the housing and get a screw-in T with male pipe threads at work without removing the housing. How hard is it to remove the housing? Does it require removal of the timing belt? I've got a Haynes manual and MEM but havn't found how far you have to go to remove the faulty part yet. Thanks for your reply, any help is appreciated, Ephar

Reply to
redmiata

Ephar,

Dry the "T" and clean off the end that goes onto the housing (wire brush or sand paper). Dry and clean the housing. Go get some " J B Weld " and mix a small amount. Coat the end of the "T" with it, then tap the long end of it to drive it back into the housing. ( It goes in about 1/4 to

3/8 th of an inch ). Let it harden. ) Be sure the other end of the "T" is in the correct position for the other hose !!!!!!

I have repaired a number of the "T" problems that way. It works well.

Good luck

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

There is a decent amount of work involved. I guess it has been longer than I thought since that replacement, and it was only easy because the front end was already torn down. The thermostat housing is connected with two 12mm bolts, but you have to remove a lot to get to them. $200.00 with parts actually sounds about right.

I would be hesitant to thread the piece for fear of weakening it. As much as I hate seeing the JB Weld recommended by Bruce on my vehicles, it is the route I would take for now, and then probably replace the housing at the next timing belt change. The JB Weld is likely to last longer than the car. Just make sure it doesn't plug any lines up if you go that route.

Good luck!

Pat

Reply to
pws

Bruce, you are so old school. There is no question that with two pair of pliers, one package of JB Weld, and one roll of duct tape, you can keep a car going forever. :-)

Pat (has used JB Weld many times)

Reply to
pws

I love y'all! Duct tape, Chewing Gum, Gorillia Snot, Bailing Wire, and a BIG Hammer are all parts of my emergency toolkit. Here's a pic of my temp fix...

I used brass wire to hold the fitting in place. The original is too eroded to press back in place. That was my first choice, but it isn't possible without destroying the part. I've got plenty of water in the passenger seat and the radiator cap isn't seated fully so hopefully it won't blow off before I can fix it properly this weekend I'll let you know how it all works out.. Ephar

Reply to
redmiata

I totally forgot the BFH. There goes that memory....

Again, good luck. I am outta here.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Now there's a name I haven't seen for a loooong time! How the heck are you and Bambi doing? Is she still winking?

I like the fix - elegant yet simple and low-cost. Hope the long-term fix is as equally low cost. Please let us know how things work out. Since my Belle is getting older, this is probably something I'll have to look into fixing at some point.

Iva & Belle.) '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata

Reply to
Iva

Well Howdy Ma'am!, I'm afraid our parade days are gone, our paint is faded & flaking, our rear window is brown, and we are down to one speaker (unless we hit the speed bumps just right.) The wink was abandoned a few years ago, the turn signal intakes are like vacuum cleaners for water and I couldn't keep the black boxes from filling up. Have you experienced it? It's really creepy! I've got another love of my life now, you can meet her at

She's got her own booster seat so she can see out and you can't imagine the smiles we get as we pass people. I guess you could call her a true Miata Dog. A new top, timing belt, paint & body work are in my thoughts as we are pushing toward Bambi's 200th birthday. That new retractable hard top is sure alluring though. I've been out of it so long I didn't even hear about the M3, now they're coming out with a M4! It doesn't really look like a Miata though, does it? Decisions, decisions... How are y'all doin? I look forward to hearing from you, Ephar & Bambi '92A Classic Red

Reply to
redmiata

Mine are still fine. When you send them to me, you pushed them full of silicone, and since I added more. (Also, I moved them to the engine bay.) The only problem I have is, I keep breaking off the plastic handle of my DPDT switches. I finally found one with a metal handle, but I still need to install it.

Give her a rub from me. :)

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Well, I got it done, it took about an hour and we had to modify a few tools to work in the confined area. Total cost about $5 for parts from Lowes. Picture available at

Ephar

Reply to
redmiata

Iva & Belle.) '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata (hmmm if Bambi no longer winks, does that make my Belle the #2 winkin' Miata?)

Reply to
Iva

That's what it is. We used a 1/8 MPT fitting threaded into the housing and sealed it with teflon tape. That was then attached with a 1/4" compression fitting to the new 'T'. We took most of the threads off the right & bottom legs so the hoses could be forced on and secured the hoses with real hose clamps. If you have to try it, plug the intake pipe with a rag as soon as you disconnect it. I managed to get coolant and metal chips into it. Not a good thing. Make sure all the hoses are well clear of the belts when you're finished. I think it'll last the rest of Mine & Bambi's life myself.

Ephar & Bambi

Reply to
redmiata

Reply to