I need a blue rear finish panel for a 1992 Miata Mx5

Wife and I were out cruising the great Mississippi river and enjoyed and overnight in Dubuque Iowa. Cam out in the morning to find the car had been hit destroying the rear finish panel and tail light assembly.

Anybody know where I can find a dark blue rear finish panel?

Reply to
roadkrider

What, no note with the name of the person who hit your car and their insurance company? How surprising! :-(

That is a highly sought-after and easily damaged piece on the Miata.

They tend to get brittle with age. If you can get lucky enough to find one in a boneyard that is in good condition, that is great, but a lot of people just get it from the dealership, and they are expensive.

Add paint since there is almost no chance of a color match and it comes out to some pretty good money.

Finally, if you are in an active Craigslist area, you can put a WTB ad up and see if someone who is parting out a Miata has the part.

has them listed used for $200.00, but you would have to check to see if they have any in stock. A new one will run you $339.00 from them. Add shipping, of course......

Good luck!

Pat

Reply to
pws

Ouch! I didn't realize they wee that expensive. Doesn't somebody make an aftermarket carbon fiber piece for this? Any idea price wise? You'd be potentially saving a rather significant paint charge in the process and it could look alright IMHO.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I have never seen an after market one.

The new $339.00 one from planetmiata.com does come painted, so it may not match perfectly, but it will at least be the correct color.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Since it doesn't 'flush out' with any other panel, I doubt you could tell any color difference. Might be shinier, shiny-er? more shiny, hmmm

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

True. I like your idea of a carbon fiber piece. I don't normally like carbon fiber on the exterior, but that would look ok to me on a dark car. A black piece would also look good to me with any of the dark blue colors, and possibly the silvers and reds as well.

Pat

Reply to
pws