Lubricant for Rubber?

Hi All,

My electric windows run very slow sumtimes, and this is easily solved by me lubricating the runners on the side where the window sits. This runner is rubber and keeps drying out providing losts of friction even when my finger is ran up the side.

A quick spray with WD40 makes it run perfect again, but this only lasts about a day or two. Castrol Lithium based grease lasts slightly longer but also drives leaving a sticky residue.

Can anyone recommend something that won't dry on the rubber? Or a better solution?

Thanks very much.

Neil

Reply to
Dr. Compynei

I don't know if it's bad for them, but I always use a bit of washing up liquid on them, it works a treat and lasts for ages :-)

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

KY jelly. No seriously. Failing that something like a PTFE/silicone spray. If you can find it Triflow is brilliant. We use it in the hospital to lubricate couch bearings that are used on radiotherapy linear accelerators so it can take a lot of radiation before it loses it's lubricity.

Malc

The message from "Dr. Compynei" contains these words:

Silicone spray or silicone/PTFE spray.

Reply to
Guy King

Yup. That's the best stuff to use IMO. With the window open, spray a good helping in the window channel itself, letting it run down into the part inside the door. Then work the widow a few times to make sure it covers any parts that might have been missed. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Seconded or thirded, Silicone Spray! If you know someone in the printing trade they can get lots of it. :) I'll be bringing home several tins on Monday to make sure I have supplies. :)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Then work the widow a few

Any chance of giving me her phone number?

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Run a block of Gtraphite up and down the channel

Reply to
Hirsty's

Mr Sheen (with silicone)

Reply to
John

Guy King wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk:

AOL

Reply to
Tunku

If it is rubber, petroleum based products will damage it. Silicone spray is the usual stuff.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I loved the KY Jelly suggestion.

Not too sure I'd want to go into Boots to buy it, though.

Reply to
SteveH

The message from snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) contains these words:

#I'm in love with my car......

Reply to
Guy King

Ok - go to a sex shop. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Love to know how you went about finding that out...or do I :)

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Not sure this is a good idea - using washing up liquid as a leak detector on copper pipes is not recommended as it is corrosive...

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

So is some of the flux you solder them with. You wipe it off afterwards...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Although if you're going to Maplins anyway, either Hellerman lube or Silicone grease will solve the problem

Reply to
Duncan Wood

And flush the pipes.

To use WUL as a lubricant you would not wipe it off again though.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith