What I don't like about my "new" MSM.

  1. Harsh ride. I attribute this to the 17" wheels, which I do think are good looking. Not bizarrely large like some say. If I decide to keep the car, for sure I will get smaller wheels. Not sure if I have to go down to
15" do make a difference, or what the wheel/tire choices are in 16," which I think might look best.

  1. The 6-speed is odd. 1st and 2nd are too short, 5th and 6th too tall. I never, ever missed shifts on the 5-speed. With the 6-speed sometimes it's hard to tell whether you're in 3rd or 5th. If I decide to keep the car, I would seriously considering a 5-speed swap, depending on the cost.

  2. Haven't got the Prosport gauges wired correctly yet. It's tiresome to have to initialize them every time you start the car. Oviously fixable.

In the end, I'm not sure it's suitable as a daily driver. It wants to be on the open highway or on a track. Not happy in traffic. The old Miata, though lacking power, was really more fun to drive, I think. The hot and humit weather here in Dallas lately hasn't been pleasant either.

OTOH, I've gotten more complements on the car in the few weeks I've owned it than in the 14 years I had my '96 Montego Blue.

If I do decide to keep it, I think I will add to the Little Enchilada package it already and upgrade the ECU and injectors. If.

Off to San Francisco on business tomorrow for a few days. That will cool me off.

Reply to
Frank Berger

Frank,

I had very similar feelings when I went from my '96M to my 1991 turbo with no AC, a stiff clutch, bigger, (though lighter) wheels, KYB shocks with coiloevers instead of Konis with stock springs.

The car I have now is superior for many, probably even most track applications. The stock, normally aspirated miata is, imo, better for the street in almost every way.

Not sure what my point is, or if I even have one. I am pretty sure that I would be OK with your MSM because it is more civilized than what I have been driving for over 5 years, but your feelings are understandable.

It sounds like installing a set of lightweight 16" wheels, a 5-speed transmission, and fixing that gauge could clear up any problems for you.

Let us know what you do. If you sell it, and I am still in Texas at the time, I would be interested.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Also, if I am able to make it to Dallas in my Miata one of these days, we could swap out the SSR Competitions and let you see how the car drives with 16X7 wheels that weigh around 11.5 pounds each.

Pat

Reply to
pws

I loved how the 17" wheels looked but within a year I managed to put two of them out of round. They isn't much sidewall and they don't seem to be very strong to begin with. I found lighter 16" wheels which made a surprisingly big difference in ride quality and general tossability.

I think the gearing is too short, including 5th and 6th. I've been considering going to a taller final drive ratio. Apparently the internals of the MSM 6-speed have been beefed up some, and there is a

3.63 out there that makes the car much more drivable. I am not sure if this is cheaper/easer than doing a transmission swap. A taller final drive might be a good fit in your car, since you already have probably 200 HP at the wheels.

I would actually like to get the little enchalada and the taller final drive. I'm fighting the urge...

Reply to
Carbon

It usually takes a couple of tries just to get into reverse.

The previous owner found a pod that holds two gauges that fits over the A pillar. Its looks fine to me. Much like this, but with two gauges.

I agree with these observations.

Reply to
Frank Berger

Where does one find the 3.63?

Reply to
Frank Berger

Isn't the brakes on the MSM supposed to be a little bigger than on the none-MSM ones!? I'm only basing this on what I've read since the MSM is not sold here so I have never seen one but it's something you should check before swapping rims.

Also I would think the tire selection my make a difference. At least this is what I have noticed with the 15" ones on my car.

Regards Bruno

Reply to
Bruno, Copenhagen - Denmark

Sure it makes a difference, butI think the amount of rubber between you and the road makes a bigger difference. Besides, whatever tire I select will be a summer wet/dry performance one, so I don't think that will make much difference.

Yes, the brakes are bigger and some wheels don't fit. I promise to be careful in choosing.

Thanks.

Reply to
Frank Berger

This place has them:

Carbon

I beg to differ. Tread compound and carcass construction are far more important than size, though a larger size of the same tire model may offer more grip. I guarantee my 205/50-15 RE-11s have more grip wet or dry than any size S-Drive or T1R you can fit under a Miata's fenders. The difference isn't subtle, either.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

It sounds to me like he is commenting more on the feel of the car with the larger wheels and tires than the tire grip.

I am wondering what kind of ride quality difference I would see running the 225/50/16 RE-11's, versus the same tire 195/50/15's.

That will probably never be determined, but I am hoping to have the larger size installed soon.

Of course, to have an exact comparison, the 15" setup would have to weigh the same as the 16" setup, not an easy thing at all to accomplish.

Pat

Reply to
pws

We were talking about ride, not grip.

Reply to
Frank Berger

Oops. My mistake. Still, carcass construction is very important to ride. So is weight.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Any idea how much do the wheels weigh on the MSM? I don't see them listed.

Pat

Reply to
pws

I've seen them listed as 17-18 lb. Pretty heavy.

Reply to
Frank Berger

A little bit, but not too bad. At least it is not more than the original steelies. My '96M had 14.5 pound wheels, but they were only 15", so that sounds about right for most non-forged alloys in 17 inches.

Pat

Reply to
pws

I bought my '96 with steel wheels which I immediately regretted. Eventually I replaced them a set of pristine OEM alloys from '99 that I bought on Miata.net for $400. I probably should have gone up to 15" for looks, but I didn't.

9255 What I need to know now, is this. Is there a 16" wheel/tire set that will improve the harsh ride I've got now that I can afford, or should I go to 15 inch wheels? I was looking at this

and this.

Just thinking.

Reply to
Frank Berger

I like how both of those wheel models look, but I also like the Rota Slipstreams and the OZ Ultraleggras. Lanny has the former, and Chris D. has the latter, both in 16" iirc, and they can probably give you some weight estimates.

I keep leaning towards selling the red turbo miata. I wonder how much it would get with a set of MSM wheels over the 11 to 12 pound 16X7 SSR's that it has now if a swap were to occur.

Hmmmmm........ Of course, you would have to like how the SSR's look. The wheels are still nearly pristine after about 50K miles. No curb incidents and no bends, not yet.

Pat

Reply to
pws

I looked them up. I like them well enough. What tires do you have on them. I have Falken Azeni 615s. 215/45/17, IIRC.

Reply to
Frank Berger