What I don't like about my "new" MSM.

Right now, there is a set of worn-out tires on it, and I plan to replace them with the Bridgestone RE-11's if I keep the car and/or the wheels. The tire size 215/40/16, but I plan on going with a 225/50/16 if/when I replace the tires.

BTW, the Falken Azeni has fantastic grip, but it is known as a pretty harsh-riding tire even amongst the people that like them. Lots of sidewall stiffness at the expense of comfort.

You would probably see a big comfort difference switching to something like the Toyo T-1, or presumably, the Bridgestone RE-11 as well, even with your current wheel size and weight. Going with a 50 profile instead of the 45 might help a little too. My guess is that changing the tires would make a bigger difference than losing a few pounds of wheel weight, though doing both would be great.

Let us know what you do!

Pat

Reply to
pws

Again, I was thinking that just downsizing to 16" and putting more rubber between me and the road would soften the ride, aside from the question of what tire to get. I didn't know the Azenis were known for harshness. I had the T1-R on my old miata and liked them.

Reply to
Frank Berger

I'm not trying to dissuade you from that at all, really just thinking in text. You should ask others what they think of the Azeni, my opinion is just that, an opinion, but I think Lanny will back me up on the ride quality of this tire compared to others.

Changing just the tires is a lower-cost attempt to improve the way you want the car to feel that may be worth investigating, though going to

16" and a different tire would also change it up for you. If the Azeni was chosen for the 16" wheels, I think that the ride would still be uncomfortable to you compared to your 15" Toyo T-1's.

Is there any way that you could drive another MSM with the OEM wheels but different tires to see how it feels? Since you liked the T-1's, I am sure that you would like them on your MSM as well, though Lanny is really gung-ho on the RE-11's, and I trust his opinion on tires more than my own.

Pat

Reply to
pws

To clarify, I am not saying that you would choose the Azeni for your new wheels, just submitting my opinion that the Toyo T1's will probably be better in comfort regardless of the wheel size, over a range of a few pounds and a couple of inches at least.

In other words, I would guess that the 17" wheels with a set of T1's would be more comfortable than a set of Azenis on 16" wheels, maybe even

15" wheels. This takes into account things like a probable increased wheel weight as well. Maybe a lower profile too, though the 195/50/15 that Mazda started using in 1995 is not a thick tire at all.

My theory is not exactly scientific since I have never even driven a Miata on 17" wheels, but I do have a lot of experience with 15 & 16 inch wheels and using both of the tires that we are now discussing.

Pat

Reply to
pws

My Slipstreams are 15x6.5 and just under 12 lb.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Oh, puh-LEEZE, Pat! :-)

The RE-11 rides surprisingly well for having such good turn in. The T1R has a softer turn in, but I doubt any tire rides better, certainly no performance tire, and it's very light.

I loved the T1R when the car was being used for 5000-mile road trips; it was quiet, smooth, sticky, and long-lasting for a UHP tire. But my Miata is now retired from that duty, and is just a weekend toy; any tire I buy will harden from age before it goes bald, so tread life is no longer a consideration. I thought it was time to shift the compromise away from practicality and toward raw performance. The RE-11 seems perfect for my present needs. The Star Spec would probably work nearly as well.

One thing: I hear T1Rs are in short supply right now, with more arriving later this summer.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Well, I was exaggerating a little bit there, but I will buy a set of RE-11's based on your review alone, so that counts for something anyway. :-)

It sounds like another set of T1R's could be in Frank's future in whichever wheel size he chooses.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Are these your wheels, Pat?

Frank Berger

yes, those are my wheels in black. The ones I have are aluminum colored. (silver?)

Pat

Reply to
pws