Winter driving w/rear drive vehicle

It's been years since I had a rear drive car and tried driving here in the Northeast. For the Miata or the RX8, how well do snow tires and studs fare in the winter weather here? What brands would you recommend the most?

Thanks in advance, Oran

Reply to
orange686

Can't vouch for an RX8, but a Miata w/ 4 snow tires is a joy to drive in the winter.

I think Blizzaks have the best grip on ice but are squirmy on dry pavement. Alpin Artics are better on pavement. This year I'm going to try Nokian's WR model -- they're supposed to be just as good on ice/snow and even better on dry pavement.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

I haven't needed or used a snow tire for some time on any car since moving to Texas and then to Southern California. However, the last time I did buy snow tires was a set of Vredestein snow tires for a rear drive Toyota. They were great in the snow and lasted for ever. Since I have not seen Vredestein tires recently, I went looking on Google. First site I found was for bicycle tires (oops!).

little more searching turned up the following site

Gus (91 BRG)

P.S. Growing up in Wisconsin, I always had more fun driving a rear wheel drive car in the snow than a front wheet driver. I'm sure the Miata would be great.

Reply to
Gus

...and if you're interested in buying a hardtop (red Snugtop with rear defroster and dome light, all wiring, bought new for my '93 in '96, used only 2 years, been sitting in the attic for the last many), I'd be happy to show it to you and sell it for a reasonable price. The rear window has a small crack in it, but is watertight (at least it was when I was using it). I have digital pictures that I'd be happy to send to anyone who is interested.

Lot-o-fun

Reply to
Lot-o-fun

I've driven through four winters in Wisconsin with a '99. Blizzaks on all four. These tires are sticky for the first three seasons and probably as good as you can get for ice. Last season I noticed they were not as sticky but just as good in snow. Thus equiped, the Miata handles up to 7 inches of snow pretty well if you pay attention. These tires on dry roads really suck, not that they are dangerous, they are just sorta wiggly.

Reply to
General

Cooper winter tires worked great for me, you need four. Frank Sawin

Reply to
Frank Sawin

Winter in a Miata is fun. On four snowtires. Don't cheap out and only do one pair; you will need all four corners done.

I'm using a new set of Toyo Observe GO2 Plus on ancient Honda steel wheels. They're great. I took them down to a mall parking lot after a good coating of ice and freezing pellets had coated it, and tried to make them break out. It took a lot of trying as they've got a really good grip. We're not allowed studded tires here in Montreal so I can't comment on that aspect.

Don't put weight in the trunk because it just screws up the balance. You might want to consider a hard top, not for the warmth or the stiffness but for the increased visibility out the rear window. My Rollerskate's parked outside all through the winter, and scraping a glass hard top window is much better than trying to scrape a glass insert in a frozen vinyl soft top. Besides, hard tops look cool.

Here's winter in Montreal, after I'd discovered which snowbank had a Miata under it...

-- Nora (imagine a Canadian flag here) =======================and the Rollerskate (imagine a '99 gleaming silver recently waxed Miata here)

HOME PAGE
Rollerskate
FFFR 4 pix