MX5 Miata -90 Hand brake jammed - help!

Hi,

What should I do to release the jammed Hand brake?

The hand brake handle feels loose, it does not have similar feeling as usually, and (at least) the left tyre brakes are 100% locked.

I assume a reason for this was too powerful pulling of hand brake handle yesterday...

Any ideas, what needs to be done to drive to a service?

Reply to
Classic Red MX5

feeling as

brake handle

See

down towardthe bottom of the article. Iva & Belle.) (who had this problem herself) '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata

Reply to
Iva

Here's what you do to unjam the brake:

It's a good idea to do this on a level surface or chock a wheel so the car does not roll. Or have someone hold the regular brake. In other words: be careful.

Release the handbrake. Put it all the way down.

The handbrake cable to the brake assembly is visible when you look in the wheel well to the front of the tire (tyre). Put your hand on it and follow it to the point where it ends. This is the actuator arm for the safety brake at the caliper.

Apply force, with your hand, to push the arm towards the rear of the vehicle.

The arm should move, usually with a "click" and the brake will be free.

At least that's what I have been doing on my '90 until I can spend some time really fixing it. The article referenced in another response is very good.

Best,

Ken

Reply to
Ken Stoorza