WOW!!! First time owner (kinda long)

Hi all...

I live in Maine and sometime around 1990 I was towing a 18' fishing boat down to the ocean. I had left any resemblance to a highway and was cruising down a winding two lane road when, on a short straight stretch this little two seat convertible (light blue) passed me. Had no idea what kind of vehicle it was but I was drooling! That looked nice! Approx 10 miles later I arrived at the marina and was pleasantly surprised that this little blue thing was parked there. I had never seen nor heard of a Miata at that time so I walked over and gave it a good looking over. Unfortunately I did not locate the owner of the Miata but he did leave the top down and I got a good looksee. Impressive! I thought to myself that *someday* I will find out more about this car. At this time, all I knew is how it looked.

Since that time I have done quite a bit of research and talked to a few owners. I never found one who didn't like the Miata. As always, some had a few *minor* gripes but.....all in all everyone was mostly positive about owning one. One of these folks offered me the chance to drive one back around 96 or 97. Wasn't a long drive but that is all it took. I fell in love and decided that one day when I was financially able I would have one.

The time has come! I retired last February and began a serious search. After many dead ends (Used Miatas are exteremely hard to find up here) I finally found one that fit me perfectly. Had to travel out of state (New Hampshire) to get it but I think (now) that it was well worth the trip and the time involved.

I've read all the notes posted on this NG since the beginning of March (this year) and thank you all for the insight and links provided.

My local dealer here has only new Miatas which start at $26,000. I know that was out of my range but settled on a 96 Florida vehicle. OK...it has an auto transmission....but I like it!!! Not only do I like it, I can't find any time to

*not* be driving it. Damn, it's just fun! I wouldn't be here typing this if the wife had not begged and pleaded to have just a little time driving her relatives around!

I have picked up on the miata.net website and find it very enlightening but I have not read through the whole site as yet. Perhaps the following question is answered over there but I have not found it as yet.

Actually a couple questions. Is body rust a problem in the northern states where we use road salt during the winter? No rust on this car...just asking about the future. Second question concerns the paint color. My registration lists the car as blue (it is dark). When viewed in the shade it *is* blue but when viewed in the bright sunshine it is green. It's beautiful either way! Just wondering.

I guess that's it! Just wanted you all to know that there is another Miata lover hanging out here in Maine.

JV

Reply to
JV

I haven't had a problem with rust, but I only had my first one in the DC area for a couple years. The new 96 has no rust that I can find, though it wasn't driven much before I got it (got it with 37k miles on it). We did have a fairly nasty winter this past year, with heavy salt usage. But no problems that I can see (and I'm under there from time to time for oil changes).

Oh, and the color you have is a lovely Montego Blue. Registrations will often list the dominant color. My Jetta was painted Dupon Chromalusion True Blasberry. It's a metal oxide flake coat that shifted from blue to purple to green to orange to red, all depending on the angle you look at it from. VERY cool. If I had known I was getting the paint job when I bought the Jetta, I would have bought another Miata instead, with a poor paint job. The registration listed it as "blue", because it's the most dominant color.

-Todd 96M Todd Palino Website:

Public Key:
Your excuse is: Route flapping at the NAP.

SpamBlock in place. Get rid of the "foobar" before you email me.

Reply to
Todd Palino

What part of Maine? I live in Southern Maine, and I couldn't find one here either. I went to E-bay and found a '93 with no rust. I've decided not to drive it in the winter to avoid rusting it out. If it's anything like other Japanese cars (my other car is my third Subaru), it will rust like crazy. I'd rather not find out. I guess if you have to drive it during the winter, wash it every now and then, if you can without freezing it solid. Personally, if I were to drive it over the winter, I'd get the hardtop.

-- Tonyrama Crystal White '93 A

Reply to
tonyrama

Thanks Todd. I already love it.

That's good news. I do intend to garage the little thing once it gets cold.

Thanks again..and you are accurate..it's a wonderful color.

JV

Reply to
JV

I'm up here in Auburn. Been watching the Portland Sunday paper for months now and couldn't find anything older than 2001, which is/was out of my price range. Found mine thru Autotrader.com down in Portsmouth, NH. Kept getting my hopes up with "hits" from Charlies Mazda in Augusta. They had advertised two that they never had. :( Like you, I intend not to drive it in the winter. My

*main* car is a 14 year old (quite rusty) Toyota 4Runner and the wife drives a 97 Subaru Outback (no rust). I understand by some of the older notes here that Miatas handle themselves quite well in the snow. Because of where I live (out in the willywags) with a long uphill driveway we kinda need those 4WD's to get in and out.

BTW...I been doing some investigating over on Miata.net and that forum concerning the front license plates. I don't really want to put one on but you know Maine law. What have you done? I can't see any way of attaching one on this car. I suspect that since it came from Florida (no law down there that I know of) that any existing bracket was removed.

JV

Reply to
JV

My front plate is ty-rapped to the vertical struts inside the mouth; it also adds considerable protection for the radiator and A/C condenser. Some people fear this might cause overheating, but that's probably not much of a risk in Maine. I wouldn't recommend it for a Miata with forced induction, though.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Thanks Lanny,

I'll check it out a little more carefully and see what I can do. You are right about me thinking about overheating. We don't have an extended summer up here but it does get hot from time to time and that is when I'd really like to be out cruising. If you don't overheat down there I guess I wouldn't up here.

JV

Reply to
JV

Gotta love that good old Subaru AWD. Mine's a '95 Outback. I never got up to Charlie's, I thought he was only a Subaru dealer. I spent months searching the paper, Uncle Henry's, all the local dealers, and couldn't find anything decent. You had either old, high miles and rusty, or old garage queens that were overpriced.

Mine came with a bracket that mounted up under the bumper inside the mouth. I am aware that the law says you have to have one, but I took mine off. I'd observed a Miata or two around without them, and even some big trucks. I know a guy with a Triumph who doesn't have one, hasn't for several years, and said he has never had a problem. Somone else told me that only state cops will give you a hard time about it, so as long as you stay off the interstate, you should be fine. Given all that, I carry mine (still on the bracket) in my trunk, just in case I ever need it. I may still put it back on depending on continuing feedback from people I know.

-- Tonyrama Crystal White '93 A

Reply to
tonyrama

Yeah, I agree...The wifes Subaru is nice in the snow. I've always been rather partial towards Toyotas but when I tried that outback out on the snowy roads I was sold. I hate to admit it, but it was better than my 4runner in the turns. However, as you would expect, the 4Runner will pull almost any vehicle out of the ditch and never take a second breath. Methinks we both are perfectly fit for any winter Maine decides to throw at us.

OH...BTW...Charlies is now a large multi-company dealer. Not a yeah or nay...just mentioning it. I think it *would * be nice if they kept their listing current AND accurate though.

I've given some very serious thought to running with only the rear plate. Hell, I know folks who have done it for years. I'd like to think that a middle-aged guy like myself could get away with it but then...I think...if I was a bored cop and saw a really neat looking convertible cruising by, I just might pull it over to get a better look. Then might or might not come a ticket. We got some really good cops up here and we also got a few jerks. Methinks I'd be OK but no sense taking any chances. $50+ fine I don't need.

BTW...Again....I know..I found a way to attach my front plate earlier today and it works just great. As I mentioned earlier there was nothing on my front (that I could see) for attaching a front plate. Upon close inspection I found a couple of holes in the underside of the upper mouth (?) of the grille opening. (is there any newsgroup where pictures of Miatas are not a problem?) I went to my local hardware store and bought 4 plastic license plate bolts/with nuts. I then purchased a package of 4/6/8 corner braces (zinc plated) 1" x 1". They attach very nicely to the holes provided and the license plate also attaches nicely. I was concerned with the possibilty of losing airflow to the grill but Lanny says that should not be a problem and after reading many of his postings, I tend to think he knows what he is talking about.

I would welcome any thoughts/ideas concerning my fixit.

JV

Reply to
JV