'03 Mazda6s "Check engine' light

I seem to be having a problem with my check engine light. I got the car in December of '02. In December of '03, my check engine light came on. Dealer said it was an vapor sensor (or something similar) in the fuel tank. It had spiked, which tripped the alert. However, the monitoring system is too sensitive, it should not have tripped for that spike, and it would take a reprogram of the computer to resolve. Mazda has such a reprogram already, but wasn't expected to be at the dealerships until Jan '04. In Jan '04, when the dealer got the programming, they reflashed the computer to supposedly fix this.

Three weeks ago, the check engine light came on again. A different dealer (I had moved in the meanwhile) described it, and it sounded like the same sensor. They were reflashing the computer to fix it. To which I commented, "Again? That was done in January." Service writer then said that these computers can only be reflashed once, and there was no indication that it had already been done...

And, to top it off, my check engine light came on again yesterday.

WTF is going on?

Reply to
Jeffrey Kaplan

Tell them to replace the sensor and reflash the ecu, ecu's can be reflashed many times, they are only reflashing the eprom chip on the ecu which isn't a big deal Its just like flashing the bios or updating the bios on your pc/ home computer.

Reply to
Bryan

; Tell them to replace the sensor and reflash the ecu, ecu's can be reflashed ; many times, they are only reflashing the eprom chip on the ecu which isn't a ; big deal ; Its just like flashing the bios or updating the bios on your pc/ home ; computer.

I just got off the phone with the service coordinator, and he is insisting that the ECU can only be reflashed once, that if it's tried a second time the computer kicks back an error that it's already been done and cannot be done again. We shall see if it is indeed the same item that's tripping it when it goes in again.

I'm waiting for them to get a replacement weather stripping for the driver's door. This has been a chronic problem on my previous Mazda, too: The weather stripping comes out of its seat and tears.

Reply to
Jeffrey Kaplan

What if they discover another bug later on? Would this mean that it can never be corrected?

Reply to
name

If they don't fix it for you , goto another Mazda dealership, because they don't know what they are doing.

Reply to
Bryan

; > I just got off the phone with the service coordinator, and he is ; > insisting that the ECU can only be reflashed once, that if it's tried a ; ; What if they discover another bug later on? Would this mean that it ; can never be corrected?

If he's right, it would mean replacing the ECU.

I'm not sure yet if I'm going to stay with this dealer's service department. It's the closest one, but there are two more, larger ones, in opposite directions, within about a half-hour's drive. I'm going to wait and see what happens here.

Reply to
Jeffrey Kaplan

I think that people who have no real mechanic skills, but do have a reasonable personality become service advisors.

Try a no-charge rent of a code scanner at AutoZone. (you leave a deposit...on a credit card is fine...which they refund when you bring the scanner back......you will be back in about ten minutes). Tell the guy who rents you the machine what code (or codes) it read and he will look them up and tell you the code definition. If it's something straightforward: great. If not, post the codes here and somebody will probably comment.

Ken

Reply to
KWS