1995 Millenia Catalylitic Converter

My shop told me that there are two converters, one located at each exhaust manifold. This true? He also said that they cost $780 each, ouch? Can some one shed some light on this and perhaps lead me to a less costly solution?

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Levine

There are two converters...... did they tell you why you needed both ?? It's not common to replace them ...

Stephen

Reply to
dooker

I was told by the shop (in the course of replacing a leaking water pump and head gaskets that were destroyed because the engine overheated - but not head milling yet, haven't talked to them today) that they *both* were starting to self-destruct. The would last a little longer, but I might no pass emissions the next time. Might not be common on other peoples" cars - not mine. Any advice other than the cliff?

Reply to
Stephen Levine

I would be very leery about accepting such advice from someone selling big-ticket repair items. Clearly, you should not replace them before they have failed a pollution test (made at some other service facility).

SJF

.

SJF

Reply to
SJF

I agree ... if the converters start to fail the check engine light will come on and a converter inefficiency code will be stored ... An earlier sign of failure may show up on an emissions test as mentioned. It does sound like the garage is either over selling you or being overcautious ....

I would be very leery about accepting such advice from someone selling big-ticket repair items. Clearly, you should not replace them before they have failed a pollution test (made at some other service facility).

SJF

.

SJF

Reply to
dooker

I've heard reports that there may be three or even four. Go to a Mazda dealer and ask. You will be surprised at how often they DON'T rip you off there.

Reply to
First of One