2003 rear brakes

Should be an easy answer:

I am having difficulity pressing the piston into the rear caliper of the Mazda in order to install the new pads. I have done this 100's of times on other cars but never had a car with the hand brake connected to the rear caliper. Is there some trick? I cannot press the piston into the caliper more than 1/4 in using the C clamp.

One recommendation was to open the bleeder valve to release the pressure but I have never done this on other cars.

Any recommendations?

Reply to
1.dan.thomas

Nissan used to use a system similar to what you're describing. This is a guess, without seeing it, but is there a big cross or "X" at the bottom of the piston, or notches cut into the top? If so, you have to 'screw' the piston in. It's been a few years since I had my Nissan, but IIRC I used either a big honkin' screwdriver or a broad chisel or paint scraper.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't see anything like it when I looked. Has anyone out there actually replaced a set of rear pads on a 2003 mazda protage?

Dan

Reply to
1.dan.thomas

There is a screw at the back of the brake piston that you have to unscrew, then press the piston in. I saw the tech did it.

Reply to
LT