Hard Brake Pedal when cold

'91 Mazda 626 2.2 not turbo.

On especially cold mornings, when I first start out, the brake pedal is hard as a brick and very high, like the vacuum assist isn't working. It stays that way for 100 - 200 yards and two or three uses of the brake, then it goes to normal. Vacuum connection from the manifold seems secure. Am I gonna have to replace that whole stinking vacuum assist unit? I hope this is not a dealer item. They will bend me over the sink while some kid plays dueling banjoes.

Thanks for any help,

Hamish

Reply to
Hamish WAUGH

Somewhere between your intake manifold and your vacuum assist there should be a check valve. It's possible this valve is sticking or not working. Start your car and after the brakes feel normal, shut off the engine and wait about 5 minutes. Push the brake pedal without starting the engine. If it feels hard to push, then you are losing your vacuum that should be held in the vacuum assist chamber. I'm not sure about your particular model, but try squeezing the hose that goes from the intake to the brake chamber. If you find a hard spot in it like a lump, that is your check valve. John

Reply to
John