My 1996 C280 Fuel Guage in no longer functioning

My fuel gauge no longer show the correct amount of gas, the gauge goes to the very full then 2 minutes later goes down to the very empty, and it repeats the same thing over and over. After leaving the gas station with a full tank, the gauge shows I am on empty. Any ideas? I am in USA

Reply to
Phyberlink