fuel guage problem

Hi everyone;

We have a 2002 SL1 with 95000kms. We bought it new and recently the original battery died without warning at a gas station after a fill up. When I got a boost the odometer rolled back about 30000kms, the fuel gauge (which I had just filled ) showed 75% and the airbag sensor remained lit. The next day I took it in to my Saturn dealer to put in the new battery and check things out. I needed a boost to get it there and this time the odometer and airbag were normal- the fuel still showed 75% or so. When I got there car back from Saturn the man there said the computer checked out ok and the weird stuff might have been attributed to the boost- but the fuel gauge still showed

75%. The trip counter didn't work after I got my initial boost and I did drive it around for about an hour to charge the battery for the morning; so I could not be certain of my actual mileage since my fill up. I managed to drive it over a week before the gauge got to about 25% and the gas price seemed less outrageous before I refilled my tank, last night. The gauge showed full so i thought everything was normal.This morning I had to go somewhere and in the 1st 16kms on the highway I saw the gauge go from full to 1/2 tank- that's right, 32kms a tank of gas....I slowed down bit ( from 120 to 100kph ) and the gauge stabilized, then started to creep back up ( to 75%) . Now I've done about 150kms, and its starting to show below 75% ( say 70%).

I intend to try to get an idea how much mileage I am getting on this tank then take it back in to Saturn and have a look at it. I am wondering if any of you have experienced any similar problems; what is the cause and cure ?

Thank you all in advance

Laz

Reply to
Laz

To bad it didnt roll back to being under warranty ;)

The > Hi everyone;

Reply to
Blah Blah

Sorry not an internal short, I missed the part about the boost. It was the boost. Explain how and who boosted your car.

Reply to
Blah Blah

The car is under warranty for 100000 kms or 5 yrs. ( we invested in GM's Extended Warranty ). This might be a good thing, because I called GM's roadside assistance when the car was stopped at the gas station (I had no idea at first why the car won't start, and I don't really know anything about cars) I had to wait about 1hr for the tow truck they sent ( during which time I was able to see the battery was dead ) and the tow-truck operator THEY sent gave me the boost ( which resulted in the screwed up display ). I'm thinking I've got a case in small claims for any parts or repair.

Laz

Reply to
Laz