Automatic transmission problem with 2002 Ford Explorer

The automatic transmission on my 2002 Ford Explorer (with 87,000 miles) has started to shutter between shifts from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to

3rd and to some extent 3rd to 4th. My Ford dealer says that this is a sign that the clutches are going bad and the transmission will have to be rebuilt. While he may be correct, he is new to the Ford dealership and did not seem to know about some well documented problems with the automatic transmissions in the 2002 Explorers. I know that rough shifting frequently caused by the computer that learns how you drive and set the transmission for the best shift points. Once at 17,000 and then again 50,000 miles the dealership had to flash the computer which corrected all the shifting problems. I thought it was curious that he did not seem to be aware of that fix. The solenoid body had also failed and was replaced under warranty.

Since it was the end of the day and I was picking up my car, he advised me to take the battery cable off (which I did and left off all night) to reset the computer. I must have done something because when I put the cable back on this morning and started the car the tachometer went up to 8000 and then back down to 1500. My guess is that this will fix the rough shifting but not the shuttering. I have also been told by Pro Tran that there is an update for a "separator plate" for that transmission and a history of the value body gasket leaking.

With that background can anyone help with the following questions?

  1. Will taking the battery cable off reset the computer? I know it did on older cars; however, I am not sure about a 2002 Explorer.

  1. Is a shutter between shifts always a sign that the clutches are going out. Could a leaking gasket or separator plate cause this type of problem?

  2. Are there some updates to that transmission (mine was a very early build 2002)

  1. If I do need a transmission, what is my best bet and what can I expect to pay. Pro Tran says around 00.

Thanks for any help Don Hazle Port Matilda, Pa

snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu (reply directly if you don't want to post}

Reply to
Donald Hazle