1958 180D mercedes

I have a 1958 180d that i'm trying to register in California. The DMV verifier looked inside the door and found a number, then looked under the hood and found another number. Guess what, they don't match. The number inside the door starts out as 850XXXX and the number under the engine starts out as 851XXXX.

The Oregon title that i have has one of the numbers, the 851XXXX from under the engine, on the title, but not the number on the door (the

850XXXX). So now the DMV says that i have to go to CHP to have them verify it.

Fine. What I'm hoping to do is have some reason a to why this is the case. Obviously the CHP officer isn't going to know anything about old Mercedes and their various engine and chassis numbers, so I'd like to be able to help move the process along.

Thanks!

Reply to
rwcmick

Call MBUSA and ask for their "Classic Parts" Dept. Those old guys will know the answer.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Not to state the obvious but isn't it possible that the door was replaced at some point in the past almost 50 years? And that your door actually came from another car?

Reply to
Jim Morales

What if the door is from a stolen car? Do you have to give them the door?

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

Where exactly did you, or the DMV person find the number under the hood? The number plate on the radiator support is often mistaken for the chassis number but it's not. On your car the chassis number is stamped in the firewall and since it's a 45 year old diesel is most like obscured by the patina common to cars so old. The number inside the door is really on the forward jam IIRC. That number should be the chassis number and agree with the number stamped in the firewall. If they're different someone was confused in the past and most likely used the number from the radiator support. Benz stamped the chassis number elsewhere on the car -sometimes- and not always in the same place. Two places I recall are the frame of the trunk lid and the dash board pressing behind the ash tray.

Good Luck

Chas Hurst

Reply to
Chas Hurst

Thanks for your replies! The number under the hood is on the right fender and is riveted to the fender. The number on driver's door is actually on the front of the door jamb, not the door itself, it is secured by philips head screws and doesn't have the same "patina" as the riveted tag under the hood.

I contacted the CHP and they said that any leg work I can do to find out about those numbers would be helpful as they aren't very familiar with older Mercedes cars.

I'll look for numbers behind the ash tray, radiator support, and firewall.

On a side note...The front brakes are squeaking like crazy. I took off the drums, scoured them with fine grit sand paper and cleaned everything with brake cleaner. There is still material on the shoes and they are bonded not riveted. What should I do? Should I get the shoes relined? I presume that buying new shoes would be obscenely expensive? Where could I send these shoes to be relined?

Thanks!!!!

Reply to
rwcmick

Why not just remove the number plate in the door jam?

Reply to
Chas Hurst

why not remove the number? well, i can't now that it's been written up by the dmv. why didn't i before? didn't think i'd need to because i had the title, paperwork, etc. i should have known better, i've never had a very good experience with the dmv.

Reply to
rwcmick

okay...i've found more serial numbers that match the title. stamped on the frame rail and also another tag. however, i can't find the serial number on the fire wall. where should i be looking for it? any help is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
rwcmick

Reply to
Chas Hurst