Do I have a 1959 or 1960 Chevy PU?

I originally posted this to alt.trucks.chevy, but I think it would be more appropriate here (based on the response I got :-)

The VIN number of my PU says it's a 1960 ( 0C144J116659 ), but it looks like a '59. It's a Fleetside with 123 inch wheelbase and a 283 w/ 4 speed. When I mentioned that the speedometer read slow to a friend, he laughed and said he had the same model when he was younger. He claims that there was a strike and that some of the trucks were put together by non-union workers. He also said he used to carry a spare wiper motor under the seat, because the gears were plastic and would break. I couldn't find any mention of a strike or walkout during '59 or '60 at the UAW web site, but there was one in '58 that affected '59 model availability. Does any one know anything about this?

Update since original posting to a.t.c: I have requested a Restoration Package from GM for this VIN. We'll see what they send me. Based on information I found, it appears to be a 3234 (because of wheelbase length) 1/2 ton (GVW is 5000lbs). The C3200 supposedly was last made in '59. Could it be that they continued to make '59 models into 1960? The model 44 seems odd as well. Could it be that a 44 is a late model 34?

Thanks, Charlie Brett

Reply to
Charlie Brett

and the '0' in the VIN indicates 60. 60 also had a torsion bar front suspension, originally.

Reply to
Loodsir2

You're correct. The VIN says that its a '60. In fact, according to the standard decoding, its a: conventional cab, 1/2 ton, 6 1/2' body, model 44, built in Janesville. The really strange thing is that I can't locate any information about a model 44. An 04 is a step side and a 34 is a Fleetside. Since the wheelbase is 123", it has to be a 3200, so maybe the 44 means that it's a 3234 (where a 34 would mean a 3134). The cab is definitely a '59 (hood, fenders, grill work) and it has coils front/leaf springs rear (also '59), but the VIN is a '60. It's in the location a '60 VIN would be (below the upper left door hinge, along with the wheelbase and color/trim codes). It has a 283 and a 4 speed (granny+3) and I think a posi rear end (I need to look again). Definitely a work truck.

Reply to
Charlie Brett

Maybe it was an early built 60 ( built in late59} as to why it has 59 parts on it.

Reply to
LARRY929

Gallery - LOTS of pics of old trucks in various stages - restored, hot rodded or tricked out.

Forums

1917-1959 Chevy truck forums

Look under Chevy Truck Resource Pages for websites with lots of information.

also check out fromt hat page:

Chevy / GMC Truck Parts Vendors List

Reply to
Woogeroo

I think you're right. Thigs must have been much different then. Now, it seems they stop building a given year around April :-) Based on the serial number, it was about the 6000th vehicle out of Janesville in 1960. My guess is that the number (last siz digits in the VIN) was different for all vehicles leaving the plan. What would make this a problem, would be if I ever sold it. It's a '59, but on the VIN and title, it's a '60. The reason for the original posting was to find out how common this is/was, and if it isn't, was there something special about '59/'60 (were some parts '59 and some '60). I'm just going to treat it as a '59 when replacing parts.

Thanks, Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Brett