1984 190D RPM gauge will not work

The rpm gauge on my 84 190d will not work. 84 and above do not have a tach amp so I can't do that quick easy fix. I made the assumption it was a bad RPM sensor so I replaced it. The rpm gauge still does not register. I don't know where all the sensor wires go once they go to a relay station behind the battery. The only relays there are the kickdown switch and something else I forget at the moment. I suppose the rpm gauge could be bad. Is there any way to troubleshoot it? The car has 308,000 miles and that is pretty much the only thing wrong with it.

Reply to
dellis

Fuse? These things do need power.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Fuse is good. Can I hook a multitester to the wires going to the RPM gauge behind the instrument cluster? What voltage and such should I look for?

Thanks

Reply to
dellis

I haven't a clue, sorry.