1986 Mercedes 560SEL-Air condditioning?

I just purchased the above and the ac doesn't work..the owner said that it just needed freon but since that is no longer legal I wondered as to the best equipment to retro fit or use.... I want to do the stuff myself..

thanks for the help..

Reply to
ron s via CarKB.com

Freon 12 can still be bought - legally. It's not cheap but the cost of R134a isn't cheap anymore either. Professional A/C shops will have all the Freon that you need.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

You can still get R-12, the manufacture of new freon in the US is no longer legal but there are still supplies. It is very expensive to fill with R-12, you can use alternatives such as R-406a. If it needs freon its because the freon leaked out from it. You need to figure out where the leak is else a recharge is just an expensive waste of money.

Reply to
Al Abbasi

Retrofitting with R134a is painless, so you can go this route too. Usually when you lose freon, you got a leak somewhere... so it really depends on how much you lost... your system only has about 3.2lb of freon... so if you just lost 1 lb, then it is better to just refill... if you lost more, then you got to find the leak.

Reply to
Tiger