Diesel Purge Stalls :-(

I just set up the DieselGiant (DG) purge and so far it has not worked very well. I haven't even been able to get a single pop from the engine.

The DG instructions give no indication of the need to prime the purge system. After completing the purge, the priming is mentioned. Out of curiousity I decided not to prime it and give it a try. I had thought that with the bottle very close to the IP that it might just work. But the engine did not even give a pop. Then I started priming and watched the bubbles from the return line. It took a minute or so and then the bubbles disappeared. What a pleasure not to have even a single drop of leakage from the new Bosch manual pump :-)

Next, with a little confidence I sat into the car and had another try at starting. There was lots of revving but, again, not a single pop. I checked the main electrical lines around the fusebox and they seem ok.

Back to the drawng board :-)

Reply to
RF

Floor it while cranking.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

RF wrote: -->> T.G. Lambach

Reply to
RF

What is the resistance of your glow plugs?

Reply to
Tiger

Good question Tiger. I have two meters, one analog and the other digital.

The analog says: 60K, 100K, 100K, infinity The digital says: 75K, 2.3 M, 2.7M, 100K

- all ohms of course. As you will note, they are both liars ;-)

I have ordered a set of plugs, a spare, and the relay.

Hopefully, that will get me on my way.

Thanks for your interest.

Reply to
RF

Finally, I replaced the glowplugs and I was able to start again. The new plugs all had exactly 0.5 ohm resistance, according to my Digital MM. How long are the Bosch plugs supposed to last?

Unfortunately, the old black smoke problem is still there, even when idling. Looks like I'll have to work on the timing now. Anyone know of a good tutorial? Please don't mention the MBZ manuals. Lots of the time I feel so frustrated that I get close to recycling them. DieselGiant has some very good articles but nothing on the actual IP timing.

Have a great weekend :-)

Reply to
RF

Is the air filter ok and perfectly clean?

Reply to
Cordy

Thanks Cordy.

Sure is. I completely cleaned out the container - I found that soot had blocked off about 1/4 of the area of the port where the air goes into the inlet manifold. Then I installed a new air filter. It seems that the timing of way off.

Reply to
RF