211 frt battery alternate

Anybody know of a decent alternative to the front battery for an 03 E500.It looks like a typical motorcycle battery. Something that should be in the $40-60 range, not the $100 plus dealers want. What's the purpose of the battery in front? What does the rear battery do? Thanks, Howard

Reply to
Howard

hit me up on email, I might be able to help

Reply to
Tim

I am not sure what you mean by motorcycle battery... that's a tiny thing. I checked with Sears, Autozone and Advanced Auto Parts and both said Group 49 battery... which is typical of Mercedes.

I buy only Autozone batteries... best warranty and no hassle with reasonable price. 7 years warranty for $85.

Reply to
Tiger

They may say Group 49, but that is for the main battery in the trunk. A Group 49 battery is 15" x 6 7/8" x 7 3/16". A 211 uses a dual battery system because of all the consumers. The front battery, is # 90 here:

Part number 211 541 00 01, it is 12V/12AH.

Here is a site that sells glass mat [AGM] motorcycle batteries, which is what the 211 must use, but they are $84 to $106 each. I do not know the size by these numbers. Same price as the dealer.

I would NOT recommend a regular lead acid battery!!

Reply to
Karl

Mmm... that look like a SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) Battery... which is a AGM type battery.

I would try to look for Amperage rating... measure the size and compare to what is available...

batterymart.com

Interesting... new battery I didn't know MB has. Then again, I haven't look into newer car engine compartments.

Tiger