280CE sunroof woes

Does anyone have experience in repairing a slow opening electric sunroof, mine will open very slowly and in incriments by turning the switch on and off, when it is open , closing is quite fast, any clues?

Reply to
Steve Currie

Be careful! If it's like my 190e, the cable is probably degrading, and it's best to replace it sooner, rather then waiting for the frayed cable to get further jammed up in there.

Pretty easy repair actually in my 190 (with tigers help :~).

With roof open

1) remove headliner portion of sunroof by pullling strongly down on front edge, and then sliding headliner up through roof. 2) remove two 8mm bolts which retain transport bridge to rear of sliding roof. 3) operate roof close button until cable comes free of motor. pull cable out. 4) transfer bridge peice to new cable insert new cable back into tube until it touches bottom, operate roof open button until bridge lines up.

If you keep working the failing roof, you will get the cable stuck in the tube so solidly that it will require MUCH more disassembly and work.

Of course all of this assumes you cars setup is similar to my 1986

190e. If not my apologies.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph