300D Wheel Alignment

While trying to decide whether to have a wheel alignment by my tire shop or a more thorough overhaul of the steering assempbly by my Mercedes shop, I inspected my fron tires, and discovered to my horor that the right front tire is worn on the very inside right through to the steel belt!

Now I have known for awhile that something was amiss, as the car pulls to the right slightly and shimmey's at highway speed, but I had no idea that it was this bad.

Is this indicative of a misaligment, or more extensive steering assembly problems?

Thanks in advance for all thoughts and suggestions.

Reply to
randallbrink

Easy way to tell if you need new parts... Jack up one side on a shop floor jack... not factory jack. If you have to use factory jack, then use jack stand also under the front axle.

With the tire in the air... grab 9 and 3 o'clock position... wiggle it back and forth... if you can move quite a bit, something is worn. Perfect steering is no play.

As for the tire, you problably won't believe it, but it only takes a couple hundred miles to wear out the tire with bad alignment.

Reply to
Tiger