300SD Hard HARD shifting

At the risk of posting something that isn't about shoes...

'85 300SD is shifting very hard. I've had a few diesel MBs and I can say this one is out there. I just noticed the ATF seems to be needing topping off about once every couple months. No ATF leaks under the car. I'm thinking modulator with a bad diaphragm. Sounds about right? Thanks!

Reply to
35mmprojection

Yep, modulator is gone... engine burning your tranny fluid.

Reply to
Tiger

Sounds like what I had on my 250D. Was some kind of vacuum controlled valve on the transmission. Is that the modulator?

X.

Reply to
Ximinez

Yes, that's called the vacuum modulator.

Reply to
Tiger

Yes, that's called the vacuum modulator.

Reply to
Tiger

Where is the modulator located?

I have a 1984 300SD.

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
Rooster

Driver side... on the side of the transmission... roundish, red, green or black color with black rubber cover in center and a vacuum hose attached.

Reply to
Tiger