500 SL fuel distributor problem

Hello,

my 500SL (107) recently ran on 6 of its 8 cylinders; it turned out to be the fuel distributor. Today I changed the distributor with the correct type. So far no problems. Started the engine, it ran on 8 cylinders, but then it died. Now I cannot start it anymore; strange thing is that I don't hear the fuel pump spinning as I sometimes heard before.

What did I do wrong ? Is there anything to be adjusted or just air in the system or other possibilities ?

Any comments greatly appreciated ! Werner

Reply to
werner

When you put on new fuel distributor, you must adjust fuel mixture screw... you may have to lean it out or enrichen it to get it started... once started, then you can adjust the fuel mixture to spec.

I have done this job a couple of times... every single time, you have to adjust the fuel mixture... car won't start just by installing it.

Reply to
Tiger

Tried to adjust the fuel mixture, but nothing seems to happen. Is there a right procedure to adjust ?

I have fuel at the beginning of the fuel distributor anyway.

Werner

Reply to
werner

Let's review... you know the adjustment is an allen key and you must press down the allen key to engage the adjuster...

Counter clockwise is enrichen... Clockwise to leaner. You may have to turn one or two complete circle either way to get engine to start.

Trick is look at the air flap...it should be slightly below the horizontal position with a tiny air gap... sometime after installing fuel distributor you see the flap way above the horizontal position.

Another thing is fuel distributor must have o-ring where it sticks into the hole when installed.

Too rich or too lean will not start.

Reply to
Tiger