560sl motor won't turn off with key.

Today I turned the key to my 86 560sl off and the engine kept running. I turned the key many times back on and back to off but no luck at killing the engine. I drove the car home and when in my garage where I could look and investigate things it of course turned off the first time I tried. What luck! Well I can only guess that it was the ignition switch that had kept the car running. Can any one tell me if there is any relay or secondary component to the ignition switch that could keep the engine running while key is in off position or should I just start looking for a new switch?

Thanks Bruce Buchanan

Reply to
brujan

This is not a scam, but in my '65 Mustang I found the reason when I blew the horn out of frustration. Turned out to be the ignition switch. I couldn't believe it but changed the switch anyway and the problem went away. Only with Detroit iron could you expect such a product.

Reply to
James O'Riley