'79 Mercedes 240D body question

Hi all, I'm deciding whether to repair the damage from a sideswipe I got while my car was parked (no, they didn't leave info). Given it's age and value I don't have full coverage so it's up to me to fix . . . or not. The damage is to the front passenger side quarter panel and both front and back doors on that side.

I can get junkyard parts pretty cheaply. And the doors are relatively easy to hang, but does anyone know what is involved in the quarter panel replacement? Is it weld on or just bolted? Difficulty level?

I'd love to fix it since the car is mechanically great but if it's too much work I'll give up.

Thanks for any advice!

Reply to
runbiodiesel

Rear quarter panel is strictly cut and weld job. Everything else is bolted on.

Reply to
Tiger

Do you mean a front wing (maybe fender in the USA), or rear quarter panel. As Tiger says, the front wing is easy enough (bolt on like Tiger says), though you must be prepared to address any corrosion you find on the inner wing/front lower valance when you remove the damaged outer wing. You will also have options on replacement wings. There are 'panel parts', which are copies of genuine Mercedes, but are cheap but not perfect and will take a bit of 'fettling' (adjustment) to get to fit/look right. There are genuine new parts, which will be really expensive, but will fit well, or there are 2nd hand parts, which may need some minor repair work to the part itself to make perfect. What's the donor car for the doors like?

If it is the rear quarter you are talking of? If the damage is fairly localised around the rear wheel arch/lower rear quarter, then you could get hold of a new 'panel part' repair section. This will as said require fitting properly, which means cutting and welding. Its a lot easier than fitting a whole rear quarter though.

Cheers... Rob.

Reply to
Rob. Smith

Thanks for the replies Tiger and Rob. It is the front passenger side (American) fender (I thought it was front and rear quarter panel but I think fronts are fenders as you suggested, Rob). "Wing" must be British. The villain hit me right at the front right corner and proceeded backward as far as the rear door, missing the rear quarter panel entirely. The front door isn't too bad, the rear is worse. Also damaged the passenger door outside mirror.

So, Tiger, you're say> runbiodiesel wrote:

Reply to
runbiodiesel

Its a doddle (easy) to swap the window regulators over to manual or electric. Both mechanisms will pick up on the same attachment holes on the inner face of the door. It looks from the parts book that the manual regulator should pick up on the same holes as the electric on the glass (i.e. the parts catalogue only shows one glass type), but there are a few different glass tints, so you may have to swap your glass over (assuming its not broken?).

You will still have to pull the vacuum pipes through and out of the door before you remove yours. Its easy enough, though you may well graze your knuckles. Take a photo of your door innards before you start so you can make sure you get all the pipes and regulator bits back on in the correct way.

Oh yes, you'll need to swap the outer door handle too to get your own door lock.

I'd go for it, and since you are in California then you shouldn't have any issues with corrosion of the inner wings, which is great news.

Cheers... Rob.

runbiodiesel wrote:

Reply to
Rob. Smith