'83 300sd shift problem

It seems to stay in first gear too long and slips between second going into third, and third going into fourth. However, it doesn't happen when starting and going uphill. Could it be vacuum related?

willie j

Reply to
Bill Boyle

FWIW, I get the same problem when my tranny fluid is low..

Reply to
goop

Probably not vacuum related. The MORE vacuum the softer the shift so a vacuum leak will make for harder shifts.

Suggest you have the transmission fluid and filter changed if only to eliminate that possibility otherwise, it may be time for a rebuilt transmission.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach