Passat automatic transmission problem

Hi everybody,

We have a Passat GL 1991 2 liter with an automatic transmission. It doesn't switch gears by itself. If we put it on first gear, it will stay there. If we put it in second stay there from start, mean it will not run in first gear then switch in second. In third gear it start moving directly from the third without starting from first, second and third.

The drive position is not working at all. Oil and filter seem to be ok, nice color an any dirt on magnet.

I can use it only by starting on first gear, when the engine is running fast I switch it manualy on second, then on third manualy again. Even then if I switch on drive it will stay on third an the engine is running fast.

The selenoid seem to work manualy up to the third, the ecu do not seem to control it any more.

Does somebody got an idea about, or schematic of the electronic transmission?

Daniel

snipped-for-privacy@videotron.ca

Reply to
Daniel Dufour

Geez you must have an early '91 B3 if you have the filter still. I think this was discontinued and replaced with a bolt like the later ones. I will first assume that the engine starts with the key and the reverse lights are not on. Something with the relay and the '90 and early '91 Passats. Do you have the selection indicator in the dash?

Did you try operating the transmission with the Transmission Control Module unplugged?

You will either need to use a Volt Ohm Meter to examine the wiring and the system and/or use a vag-com tool to see what the TCM is reading. The Bentley should help too, but I think I supplemented it with specific VW transmission repair manuals.

I will try to help you since I have a little experience dealing with the problems I had with my later '91 Passat. But this was self-taught without much help from others, but some tried. ;-)

Weak parts on mine: Valve Body Harness Wiring at the transmission (water got inside insulation = poor shifting) got cleaned and repaired but....... Temperature Sensor in the VB Harness, so it got replaced with used Harness Vehicle Speed Sensor wiring was/is flexing and broke but easily repaired with newer wire and plug

If I was a guessing man, I would guess you have a VSS problem. AND it may not be just one problem! 8^o

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Please take this conversation to the WATERCOOLED newsgroup,it does not belong here.

Thank you

jan

dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:

Reply to