86 300E

I have had my 300 for about a year. I love the car, but it is starting to have some little things go wrong and I did not receive an owner's manual with the car. I have NOTHING to go on. Tell me, someone, is having my oil changed by a 'shade tree mechanic' something that can be done with proper instruction? I have other questions, but I will start with this one since it is my biggest concern.

Reply to
missysue

to missysue: My experience with my 300E was as follows:

After spending lots of money and enduring tremedous frustration using a neighborhood mechanic specializing in European cars, I was advised to take the car to a dealer with proper diagnostic equipment. "I WISH I HAD DONE THIS FROM THE BEGINNING". The dealer has proper diagnostic tools including mercedes computer access. The hourly rate may be higher, however one hour with an authorized dealer is likely equivalent to much more time with an independent, and the dealer's work is guaranteed. The car now runs like a charm.

Good Luck

Reply to
nanaimo

If you bought an older car and can't change your own oil you may be hurting yourself. These cars at this age need TLC. It will last but be realistic, a 20 + year old car made to last 5-10 years is incredible and will take time, money and knowhow to maintain. I have a 93 400E and its great but in a year I have put 1000 in issues into it and I need to put 1000 more just to do a tune up. After the tune up it will last 100000 miles so take your pick. New and coushy or old and a great ride. 2000 in 2 years is better than a car payment for a ride that was originally 58000 dollars.

Reply to
macdrone

Oh my gosh ... an 20 year old car and you don't know how to do an oil change.... go, no run, to your nearest dealer.

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz