91 560SEL start / ignition problem

Hello, Im new here and I was wondering if you guys could help me out.
Mercedes 91 560SEL..
Car has 40,500 original miles on it.....
When I turn the key to start it, it starts but dies in like a
millisecond. I have to start it again and it works fine. This happens when the car has been off for more than a few hours. You have to start it twice, I dont know why. If I turn it off, come back in 30 minutes, itll start fine with 1 turn. The problem is when it sits for a long time.....
No lights on the cluster, car has no problems, just this thats been going on for a long time.
I have to hold the key for a few longer seconds for the second ignition to kick in and it works. Pattern is like this:
SOUND OF STARTING: DIES: SOUND OF STARTING: STARTS
I just changed the fuel accumulator thinking that would be the problem, however it did nothing.
ANY ideas? Please help, I need to fix this!!
Next time you go to start it after its sat for a while, try turning on the ignition and leaving it on for about 30 seconds, and then starting it. Does it start right up? Richard

http://www.autoforumz.com/Mercedes-Benz-91-560SEL-start-ignition-problem-ftopict106383.html
http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?pI5719
"marlinspike" wrote:

on
it.
Thanks for your reply. I tried what you said this morning. I turned the key to the last position right before ignition, all the cluster lights come on, and cd / antenna power up. I left it for about 15 seconds, turned the key off, then tried starting, no difference. I still had to do it twice..
I think what Doktor Kenith said is right.... Im going to have it checked by the mechanic this Saturday.

No no, don't turn it off. Just turn on the ignition, after like 45 seconds start it. Richard
zodiax wrote:

Dam!!! Sweet!! I guess I love driving too much! My 91 560 SEL has 177,000 on it, and I have not driven it much in the last few years.

Mine did this once. Leaky fuel injectors. The system stays pressurized a bit even after you turn off the car. Some fuel leaks into the cylinder. When you try to start it, enough fuel is already in the cylinder to cause it to fire immediately, but it then fails to catch. Start it again and all is perfect. I replaced the injectors and the problem stopped.
I hope this helps,
Ken

Which is exactly what I was getting at by suggesting he tries leaving the ignition on for 30-60 seconds before starting it. If this works, then that's what his problem is. Of course, the fuel distributor could also be bad, but I doubt it, and if it is he won't know without either replacing the fuel injectors (and their seals and holders) or having a mechanic test the system. Richard
marlinspike wrote:

How does leaving the ignition on for a minute first get it to crank on the first try? Does it give it time to pressurize up?
Thanks, Ken
does leaving the ignition on for a minute first get it to crank on

Yeah, the fuel pump goes on with the ignition so it will pressure up if you leave the ignition on (it takes a minute since the system is leaking pressure...like filling up a bottle of water that has a small hole in the bottom, it will eventually fill, but much slower than if it were sealed). Richard