1969 Transmission

Do 1969 VW 1500 with IRS have different transmissions to VW beetles with torsion bar rear suspension. I have a tranny that has lost reverse gear some where ( if any one sees it send it home I miss it) and I was going to replace it with a spare transmission that is for sale locally

Reply to
peter lockie

are you in the US?....the "irs"(double jointed axle) also uses "torsion" bars so i can only assume(yeah i know) that yo uare asking if you can use an earlier "swingaxle" tranny....if this is the case, then no...

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

Reply to
peter lockie

Hi Peter,

Where in NZ are you??? I'm in Whangarei... you name seems familiar. I think the reverse gear problem can be fixed easily - something in the mechanism bends or breaks - not a real major. You can also use bits from a swingaxle to make an "IRS" box, but fixing yours would be easier.

How did reverse disappear?

Allan Williams :-)

Reply to
Allan Williams

cool...i love this group....members from all over the world...

i have heard of people converting the swingaxle beetles to "irs", but have *no* experience myself....i'm sure some here can be of more help...good luck...

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

First check the shift linkage bushing and mounts,loaded and unloaded.Reverse is usually the 1st gear to disapear because the loads are so different and if a coupling is questionable thats when it will show up.Steve

Reply to
Ilambert

I think I found your reverse --- it's firmly planted in my stock portfolio.

Timmy

Reply to
MN AirHead